Banging noise from frontend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beadblaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2011 has a loud banging metallic sound from the front left side of truck. The noise is only when locked in and does it only under load and below 30 mph. I have replaced the iwe on that side. It is not a constant noise but a loud metallic banging noise under load. I did have a inner cv joint come apart a while back. I did get it back together . No problem engaging or disengaging 4wd. I am thinking a cv joint is bad.

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must be hub, CV shaft, or one of the CV joints on the L side. My first guess would be IWE but if you already replaced it maybe not. Or, maybe its a vacuum problem on that side causing partial disengagement and wearing it out prematurely.

OP
OP
beadblaster

beadblaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked out the iwe and hub and everything looked ok but still making the noise. I put the brakes on and gave it gas until it started to make the noise and it then snapped the inner cv joint. Now I know where the noise was coming from. New axle ordered.