Bad shifting, poor acceleration...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eugeneorange

Reaction score
Just took my '12 Screw in for service. Only 1.5K on it.

Here is what's happening:

If I accelerate from 6th or 5th, it jumps straight to 3rd, which just over-revs the engine like crazy. It doesn't have that nice down-shift followed by a strong pull. Just a lot of revving in a gear that's too low for the speed. 4th is almost always skipped.
Feels like I'm driving a small engine car, where the lack of power is compensated by constant downshifting and screaming the engine.

Also, sometimes when I'm merging into traffic and trying to get on it, I keep pushing the pedal and... nothing, it just slowly accelerates in the same gear. And if I push it harder, it just skips over several gears and screams in too low a gear again.

What I'm really not happy with is the fact, that the loaner - regular XLT, that I got while my Raptor is in, seems to shift better and has better acceleration after downshifts to 5th and 4th (??) WTF?

Did it it "learn" some weird shifting patterns??
Does anybody have a similar problem?

Last edited:

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any mods tune?

No nothing like you describe

Since it us at the dealer...

Luck

Fred

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All stock, no tunes.

Based on your experiences, that does not sound good, but start simple and work your way up..

1)bad fuel...did you fill up recently?
2)check engine light
3)do you have a tuner to pull codes? might want to get one.

Since it is already at the dealer let them drive it and deal with it...it is a new truck and i would NOT take any chances...

MasterChief

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine isn't quite like your problem but when I punch it there is like a 2 sec delay while the truck tries to figure things out. It seems to constantly trying to find the right gear while doing normal driving (upshift/ downshift for no reason) and I hate stop lights because the truck won't skip first so I move like 2 inches before it shifts again . Its not a smooth shift either, more of a jerk.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine isn't quite like your problem but when I punch it there is like a 2 sec delay while the truck tries to figure things out. It seems to constantly trying to find the right gear while doing normal driving (upshift/ downshift for no reason) and I hate stop lights because the truck won't skip first so I move like 2 inches before it shifts again . Its not a smooth shift either, more of a jerk.

By what you write I am thinking...bone stock...if so call Mike @5 Star Tune

Look-------------------------------->

OP
OP
eugeneorange

eugeneorange

Reaction score
Ok, dealer called.

"No problems found, shifting normally" -- of course.

I did asked them about clearing the adaptives in the ECU (reflashing), but with only 1.4K on, they thought it's too soon. Yes? No?...

Btw; this was my first service at the dealer I bought it from. They were pretty diligent about explaining what they checked and how and what not... but I'm quite pissed about the rental XLT feeling more powerful :confused: It wasn't new either, and i didn't see EcoBoost badge on it.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Based on your experiences, that does not sound good, but start simple and work your way up..

1)bad fuel...did you fill up recently?
2)check engine light
3)do you have a tuner to pull codes? might want to get one.

Since it is already at the dealer let them drive it and deal with it...it is a new truck and i would NOT take any chances...

I did get the new Livewire TS. Is that something I can use for diagnosing troubles/codes?
I'll need some help with it, I'm new to this stuff.

btw; I only use 93 oct. fuel.

Last edited:

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, dealer called.

"No problems found, shifting normally" -- of course.

I did asked them about clearing the adaptives in the ECU (reflashing), but with only 1.4K on, they thought it's too soon. Yes? No?...

Btw; this was my first service at the dealer I bought it from. They were pretty diligent about explaining what they checked and how and what not... but I'm quite pissed about the rental XLT feeling more powerful :confused: It wasn't new either, and i didn't see EcoBoost badge on it.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

I did get the new Livewire TS. Is that something I can use for diagnosing troubles/codes?
I'll need some help with it, I'm new to this stuff.

btw; I only use 93 oct. fuel.

1) yes you should be able to pull and clear DTC codes with the live wire

2) where did you purchase the SCT Livewire? What Tunes do you have loaded on the LW?

3) I am assuming you are still running the stock tune?

I have the SCT scanner but not the Livewire. A few guys have the livewire and like it. I got mine from Mike @ five Star

I will send this to Nick a link and maybe he can chime in, he has a livewire.

Fred

OP
OP
eugeneorange

eugeneorange

Reaction score
1) yes you should be able to pull and clear DTC codes with the live wire

2) where did you purchase the SCT Livewire? What Tunes do you have loaded on the LW?

3) I am assuming you are still running the stock tune?

I have the SCT scanner but not the Livewire. A few guys have the livewire and like it. I got mine from Mike @ five Star

I will send this to Nick a link and maybe he can chime in, he has a livewire.

Fred

I got the LiveWire at AutoAnything.com. It says it comes with pre-loaded tune files. I think 3(?) and holds up to 10 custom tunes.
I have not touched it yet, it's still in the box, I'm planning to have Dave at KHC help me with the whole set up.

I find it strange, that it doesn't come with any instructions at all. Nothing except the print on the box. As a novice, I have no clue what to do with it or where to start. I think a $600 gadget like this should come with a friggin' book, so you can learn it inside out if you choose to do so.
Now I have to piece together information from SCT, 5Star, the forum...

Anyway, thanks for any feedback and thoughts.

Last edited: