Bad Drivers side Inner CV, Well F*CK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can use your help, gang
When I changed my front springs to Gieser Bros, i inadvertently let the axle slide out of the splines in the inner CV joint (drivers side). Took a while but i got it back in and thought i was good to go. WRONG!!!. Went 4 wheeling last weekend, and got a pop from the drivers side in 4x4 only. I thought it was the usual IWE, so I just changed it out. Wrong again, I guess Im just not that lucky.

So I jacked it up off the ground, ran it at idle in 4X, and sure as hell, the inner CV is popping. My question is, does Ford use a clip on the axle splines that just pops off like most front wheel drive cars do to hold the axle shaft into the front diff? I can usually get them out with a heel bar, but this one isnt budging, and I dont want to make a bad situation worse. Soooo, Is there a clip inside the diff holding it on that I have to pull off the cover to get to, or am I just not prying hard enough to pop it out of the front diff?

Also, any front axle where to purchase recommendations?

TIA

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spring clip on the diff axle shaft. Just get everything clear and give it a tug, shouldn't need a puller. When I replaced the boots I just gave it a yank and it popped out.

As for new CVs, should be a standard F150 piece, Motorcraft replacements are relatively inexpensive, otherwise Napa.

OP
OP
Otis857

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've done a few front wheel drive cars, just surprised me that it didn't just pop out with a heel bar. Glad to hear I don't need to do anything unusual to get it out. Since my first post, I haven't found any upgrades other than RCV at $2400 (ouch). So I guess it's aftermarket I'll go with.