Back tires are wearing down weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Loya

Reaction score
The tires on my back axle are wearing down on the inside faster then the rest of the tire. Any idea what could cause this?

Thanks mike

OP
OP
M

Mike Loya

Reaction score
Both are wearing the same way. I just got the truck last week and saw it today. I'm going to check air and probably rotate them today

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Both are wearing the same way. I just got the truck last week and saw it today. I'm going to check air and probably rotate them today

Might want to have the front end alignment checked, too. Sounds like they may have rotated the tires back. Only things that could possibly cause inside tire wear on the rear axle would be tire pressures or a bent axle. I've had that wear on a trailer before due to a bent axle, but never on a truck.

If the alignment is out and the camber is wrong, then that tire wear could be explained with the rotation......

OP
OP
M

Mike Loya

Reaction score
That would make sense. The truck does pull to the driver side a little maybe they were in the front before I got it. Need to go get it aligned

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mike Loya,
I agree with what 2014Ruby Red says. One other possibility is loose rear hub bearings; however the likelihood of both sides being loose is very small. Most likely the wear occurred on the front and the worn tires were rotated to the rear...
Eddie

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It does sound like they were on the front then rotated before you got it. Check you upper control arms in front mine went bad and caused inside wear.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My new truck was the same way. Fronts rotated to the back and they are almost bald on the inner three inches of the tire. Guy tried telling me when I picked it up that he saw it and had a shop check the alignment, which I believe, but they told him it was within spec and that's how it was supposed to be because of the truck style. Lol

freedommotorsports.us

Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mike Loya

Reaction score
I jacked up the front end last night. Everything looks and feels tight I got little to no movement out of part. But when driving slow over bumps the front end sounds terrible like rattles and soundsike stuff is loose.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I jacked up the front end last night. Everything looks and feels tight I got little to no movement out of part. But when driving slow over bumps the front end sounds terrible like rattles and soundsike stuff is loose.

Mine does the same. I haven't tried to isolate it yet. I believe @Yukon Joe mentioned that a small amount of play in the steering rack can make a lot of noise. I'm going to replace it all anyway so I haven't had much enthusiasm to look into it.