GEN 1 Anybody have a dealer-rebuilt transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03svt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my transmission started slipping after warm up and when shifting in higher gears, and also started making a loud rattling noise at about 1500 rpms, which sounded from up front in the bell housing.

Coincidentally I started having these problems about 2k miles after I had the dealer flush the unit, at about the 56k mark. And funny thing is the truck never quite shifted as smooth as it always had, after the second flush.

I have no doubt something went wrong somehow with the flush.

I had the truck flushed once before at 24k and the transmission had always ran fine, from day 1 and after that first service, up until the second service.

The dealer has been very good so far, updating me throughout the removal and tear down; they took me into the service bay yesterday upon request and let me speak with the transmission tech. He told me I’m getting a new torque converter and clutch packs. He chalked the problems up to some type of build up or accumulation on the clutch plates, and not the recent flush (I know, I know). But reassured me I’m in good hands and that rebuilding the 6r80 is SOP. The rest of the transmission he said looked good (no broken cogs etc), and the new parts are supposed to be in today.

My transmission right now lol

fc269aad2f1bece04f84080e10c865a2.jpg

So I just wanted to hear from anybody that might have had their transmission rebuilt, and how they’re doing now, or any similar problems and fixes.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just wanted to hear from anybody that might have had their transmission rebuilt, and how they’re doing now, or any similar problems and fixes.

I haven't but would be interested in hearing how yours goes. Were that my (2013) transmission gutted on a workbench, I'd have them replace the lead frame and speed sensor and make sure they use new seals on the bulkhead sleeve while they are in there. Not sure if yours is/was affected by any of those potential issues but it would be waaaaaaaaaaay easier to get done now :cool:

Reaction score
My trans was rebuilt for a bad 1-2 clutch. I was driving a lot of rush hour LA traffic and it would snap hard on the 1-2 shift around 15mph. I got it back and it was leaking from the main pump seal on the front. They redid that and it’s been fine for about 10k Miles. If the tranny guy knows what he’s doing it should be fine.

OP
OP
03svt

03svt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My trans was rebuilt for a bad 1-2 clutch. I was driving a lot of rush hour LA traffic and it would snap hard on the 1-2 shift around 15mph. I got it back and it was leaking from the main pump seal on the front. They redid that and it’s been fine for about 10k Miles. If the tranny guy knows what he’s doing it should be fine.

Thanks bud and funny you mention that leak but I do have a small leak from what I think is a weep hole? At the front bottom edge of the bell housing. Appears to be some very small oil (it’s dark) or whatever they used for reassembly. Is maybe what I think. It’s not transmission fluid. It dripped a little not more than a couple few drops really everyday at first getting it back, and appears to be slowing. I wipe it off everyday and am keeping an eye on it to see if it stops altogether. If not it’s going back in.

When your front pump seal leaked did it leak tranny fluid? Or some type of oil? The picture below is a little blurry but you can see where it’s getting wet with whatever that is all the way at the front edge of the bell house. Thanks fellas

6478eead40a55769f5a32f5cfa65e70e.jpg

I haven't but would be interested in hearing how yours goes. Were that my (2013) transmission gutted on a workbench, I'd have them replace the lead frame and speed sensor and make sure they use new seals on the bulkhead sleeve while they are in there. Not sure if yours is/was affected by any of those potential issues but it would be waaaaaaaaaaay easier to get done now :cool:

Thanks for your reply I brought this up to the service advisor when it was still tore down and he said they can’t arbitrarily fix what’s not broken or where no service bulletins might apply to my build date. I got the truck back a week ago, it’s got about 400 miles on it since then and feels great it shifts 100% ok but I do have a question for @Lowlife_raptor

Btw guys this is what they did and I have yet to look up some of these part numbers lol

dd9b532b3b04100f63463f570eb226b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
By the parts list it looks like they did a pretty much complete reman. New torque converter, clutches bands ect. Then it says that they had to do a second repair of removing the valve body and shift solenoids and replacing and refilling, clearing learned values, updated some sort of calibration and performed the learn drive pattern.

If the rear main seal isn’t gushing oil they can’t just add that in under warranty, seeps are considered normal by most manufacturers , they only adress “active leaks” at least with Lexus. You might have a case that “my vehicle never leaked oil before, you performed a warranty repair in the vascinity now you have an oil leak” making this fall under the workmanship warranty of the dealer. They may tell you to pound sand but be firm but still nice. Being a **** never helps.

That is probably your rear main crank seal seeping some oil into the area between the torque converter/flex plate and the back of the block or just residues heating up and leaking out. Spray some brake cleaner in there and let in run out. Once the oil residue stops coming out, road test the car and see if it stops. Sometimes residues can seep for a while when you do major repairs.....

My rear main seeps a bit too but I’ll wait untill my engine needs to come out cause it’s not that bad and I’m lazy.

Mine was spitting, tranny fluid on the exhaust trans pan everywhere. I noticed after like 50miles of driving. They re did it no questions cause of the workmanship warranty.

I’m sure your trans will be fine! Domestic techs are specialized so the tranny guy just rebuilds trannies all day, great for the customer cause he’s skilled at the one task he does, but it cripples you as a tech in your learning because all you see is tranny issues.

Last edited:

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By reading that, sounds like the original flush, released containment's , caused the valves to stick , causing the burnt clutches. Still had the issue after new clutches. Swapped out solenoid valves. I have always had just a pan drop and filter change every 25,000 miles , 82,000 on truck , 50,000 of that supercharged and fluid is still bright cherry red.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had my transmission rebuilt about 50k miles ago. i didnt have any issues with it but when i took it in to get my 4wd serviced for the 47575887th time they decided to go over the truck and found an issue that would "supposedly" cause problems in the future if i didnt get it fixed. i said ok. it was under warranty so i didnt pay anything. im guessing it was from when i bottomed out the truck at prairie city offroad park out side sacremento. the same jump where i shattered my rear window and license plate fell off......... but they offered to fix it so i agreed. the only thing i get a random hard shifts but everything for the last 50k miles seem ok. but now that im out of warranty im sure the ghosts will find a way to screw me over

OP
OP
03svt

03svt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ lol I remember seeing some of your 4x4 drama and it frightened me. I had them flush the transfer case while everything was apart and I made sure to test it after I left. Wish me luck lol. Glad to hear your tranny is doing OK I used to get the random hard shifts once in a while with mine even when it was original. My extended warranty is up early next year but I'm springing for another one before that. Peace of mind IMO

@Lowlife_raptor Thank you for all your input ! The rear main seal crossed my mind originally but I never thought to search it and sure enough I found http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/transmission-leak-48254/ and http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/should-i-worry-about-28080/. In a way I'm glad to see I'm not the only one lol. I think I'll leave it alone for now, it's only been "moist" and not dripping, and see if the seeping stops eventually like the dripping did. If not it will go back into the dealer. And I hear you about the tech, the dealer has been great about everything so far, I met and spoke to my tech who did the work and even tipped him while I was still apart and he reassured me I was in good hands. So far the unit has been shifting fine, I'm sure I will be ok too, however I'm dying to load my 93 performance tune back on but I'm playing that safe and waiting a bit longer lol. Thanks buddy for your help !

@1BAD454SS That's a great idea I'm going with just the filter from now on. I plan on keeping the truck for a very long time and I daily drive it, so it would drive me nuts to hold back on a transmission service after this ordeal. But no more flushes lol, I'll meet my OCD it in the middle with just the filter like you say. Good point, thank you

carlschmarl2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine blew up 10 miles after picking it up from having service done. They drained and replaced tranny filter.

Attachments

• 20180629_175026.jpg
    20180629_175026.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20180629_174952.jpg
    20180629_174952.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20180629_180556.jpg
    20180629_180556.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 36