All New Brakes... :/

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like most of us here on the forum I take my raptor off roading and have some fun with it though I never trash it. The other day my brakes just completely cut out after making an almost unnoticeable sound of some mud on the brakes the 2 days prior. I cleaned them as well as possible to make sure it was alright prior to the failure and it was to no avail. Ended up calling Ford roadside to come pick her up and bring her in and Ford just got back to me with a 1,650 dollar estimate. new rotors/calipers/everything up front and new pads in the rear at least. I was shocked, thinking I only had broken a brake line.

It broke on a paved, although very poorly done, road.

My real big forum question is this. I am at 36,172 miles on my 2013 screw raptor and they will not cover it under warranty, is this pretty common? I was hoping that they would let me have that 36k bumper to bumper just one last time considering I had not even purchased a tank of gas since over 36k...

Has anyone else had a similar problem with their brakes going out?

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
brakes are a wearable, so not sure they would ever cover it. You should look into the R1 concepts rotors, they will not cost as much, but if your calipers are gone too (why?) maybe look at a Baer set of brakes.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow!! I got 70k out of my brakes and they weren't even toast. I just opted for EBC brakes all the way around from SDHQ. Ford wants too much bro! As Ducati says as well, why are the calipers gone?? That's just ridiculous!!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that you where to change the rotors when you did the pads so it all wore evenly?
A guy should be able to "turn" the rotors once before throwing them in the garbage, unless they are really badly warped or grooved. Calipers on the other hand shouldn't have to be replaced at his low mileage. I didn't change mine or do anything special other than clean the outside of them.

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Yeah, OP you might want to get @FordService involved on this one; it sounds odd that the dealership wants to replace so many brake system components. I wonder if the seals/pistons in the calipers were destroyed...

OP - Did you get a chance to crawl underneath the truck and inspect for any obvious signs of failure (ruptured brake lines) ?

Was your master cylinder/resevoir still filled with brake fluid btw ?

Did the red "brake" system warning light ever light up on your dashboard ?

G'luck & let us know what the culprit was...

OP
OP
waddellw

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Yeah, OP you might want to get @FordService involved on this one; it sounds odd that the dealership wants to replace so many brake system components. I wonder if the seals/pistons in the calipers were destroyed...

OP - Did you get a chance to crawl underneath the truck and inspect for any obvious signs of failure (ruptured brake lines) ?

Was your master cylinder/resevoir still filled with brake fluid btw ?

Did the red "brake" system warning light ever light up on your dashboard ?

G'luck & let us know what the culprit was...
I will be heading down to take a look this afternoon if they will let me, I am just as interested... when the brakes went out it acted like a ruptured line and after a few minutes the "low brake fluid" light came on. one of my buddies had some good fluid on him so I filled it back up some and tapped the brakes a few times and it kind of felt like it was just all squirting out. Ford told me that apparently my front right brake pad had fallen off(?) But I feel like I would have noticed a small difference. There was never a bad metal-on-metal sound just the sound of low brake pressure where they did not touch too well. I would have, and should have checked before I handed it over, except it was pouring rain and I couldn't tell fluid from the rain. I'll try to get some pics of these destroyed brake parts and I'm pretty good friends with the dealer so I gave them the go ahead on what they thought was right... I was going to throw some new aftermarket parts on there but they said that it would be a lot more $$$$$$$$ and I strayed pretty quickly.

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

brakes are a wearable, so not sure they would ever cover it. You should look into the R1 concepts rotors, they will not cost as much, but if your calipers are gone too (why?) maybe look at a Baer set of brakes.

Wow!! I got 70k out of my brakes and they weren't even toast. I just opted for EBC brakes all the way around from SDHQ. Ford wants too much bro! As Ducati says as well, why are the calipers gone?? That's just ridiculous!!
I can't figure out how that would have happened... it seems like I would have had at least some indication that something was wrong, I was about to go for the SDHQ brakes and then they said that they have their brakes in stock and that any others would be expensive... I am pretty good with working on my truck but I have heard that brakes can be a pain and I'd rather let the professionals mess with that one!
@CoronaRaptor they said over half of it was labor

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the pad failed 'fallen off', it would have taken a few pumps to have the metal backing plate make contact with the disc.
Pressure would have build up and braking would have been restored to a degree.
It would have been very noisy.
It would not have destroyed both front rotors and calipers.

It still smells fishy...

I replaced all four discs and pads on my truck in less then four hours, and that included eating pizza, drinking beer and doing work around the house with my BiL
A professional shop should be able to perform the work in about two hours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
waddellw

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the pad failed 'fallen off', it would have taken a few pumps to have the metal backing plate make contact with the disc.
Pressure would have build up and braking would have been restored to a degree.
It would have been very noisy.
It would not have destroyed both front rotors and calipers.

It still smells fishy...
I agree, I feel like I would have noticed any scraping noise, when they went out I didn't even have the AC on... there was no strange noises. When I braked it would slowly fade out. Like if the fluid was leaking.