Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - General Information > Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum

Airbags warranty

This is a discussion on Airbags warranty within the Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - General Information category!
Hey everyone! I was in the desert a few days ago and as I was cresting a dune the side ...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Airbags warranty
Hey everyone!

I was in the desert a few days ago and as I was cresting a dune the side airbags deployed... It wasnt a sharp angle or anything but what I think might have triggered the sensor is the sudden shift of the weight of the truck from left to right (going over the dune sideways)...

Like I said there was no excessive tilt but I can see how the computer might have interpreted the maneuver and thrown off the tilt sensor.

Anyways, I just heard back from my dealer and they are saying that its not covered under warranty because the diagnostics showed excessive tilt (which is not true in reality).

What do you guys think, should it be covered under warranty?

ps truck was in 4x4, off road mode was enabled and traction off

Rapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

aka nosbusa

Mentioned: 383 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

complain to the max....... get it covered....

Old 09-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Very odd. I've read of guys smashing their skid plate in, seen vids of raptors landing almost completely nose down, etc and never heard of the airbags being deployed from such impacts. I think it's odd that those impacts did not trigger the airbags, and yet yours did? I would definitely try to get it warrantied. I mean, this truck is advertised as an offroad truck with warranty. IMHO though... Ford warranty does not really mean much at all.
Humvee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
The dealer simply said "airbags are not covered under warranty"
There isnt a scratch on the truck, looks brand new until you open the doors and see the airbags :s
Old 09-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

It was the impact from sideways landing.

Just enough roll and sideways velocity to cause the truck to think it was going to roll. I personally think the roll calibration is off going off OP description of incident. The hard part is proving to Ford it wasn't abuse and calibration issue.

-Greg
Squatting Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

My 45ft Bluewater Party

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

They are bull shitting you... That bag should not deploy unless you have triggered the sensors. The trigger needs 2 inputs at the same time to deploy... Simply tilting the vehicle will not deploy the bag... If you hit that hard on the side of the vehicle it could deploy the bags but there will some evidence or damage somewhere to prove it...

2012 Red Screw... My customized ADD rear bumperwith fog lights from a Jag :) as backup lights, ADD front race bumper, my own custom CAI, F/R Icon Shocks, Icon bump stop, WSI HD rear springs, 83000 lumens of BAJA lights, Bedslide for all my stuff and A.R.E overland cap
Check out my build page

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f65/h...r-build-14948/

Porcelain Black... Go Detroit!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9LCHgpzfxQ

Last edited by Hockster; 09-24-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Hockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Exactly, hockster.. You need an impact and excessive roll to activate safety canopy..

Originally Posted by Humvee21 View Post
Very odd. I've read of guys smashing their skid plate in, seen vids of raptors landing almost completely nose down, etc and never heard of the airbags being deployed from such impacts. I think it's odd that those impacts did not trigger the airbags, and yet yours did? I would definitely try to get it warrantied. I mean, this truck is advertised as an offroad truck with warranty. IMHO though... Ford warranty does not really mean much at all.
Front impacts (smashing skid plates) verses hopping sideways two different sensors.

-Greg
Squatting Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
There was no impact what so ever, and no excessive tilting,, I really think its the sudden change of direction from slight left tilt to slight right tilt, maybe the sensor interpreted it as one extreme right side tilt.. The tires never left the ground

The group I was out with didnt know that anything had happened until I opened the doors (tinted), truck automatically then just started flashing hazards and honking. I'll try to get some pics off them tomorrow
Old 09-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

I'm not surprised they denied your warranty claim. I think the only option left for you to do is to hire an independent inspector to try and figure out what to do. I know it's gonna cost you... But it beats the hell out of paying for a new truck. Or even just taking the hit of diminished value when you go and sell the truck. Maybe insurance will cover some of the expenses of an inspector. Good luck

Last edited by Humvee21; 09-24-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Humvee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Here are some pictures of the truck parked out side my house,, I'll try to get some pics from the offroad club that I was out with..

Notice how theres absolutely nothing wrong with the car (other than the airbags)

I emailed Ford's regional office since the dealer was useless, waiting for a reply
Attached Thumbnails
20120922_114740.jpg   20120922_114749.jpg   20120922_114812.jpg