6.2 intermittent valve train ticking noise at start up ??????????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you have a "soft" code stored? Meaning the ECM stores the fault, but does not illuminate the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) because it hasn't reached a threshold for warning.

Maybe hook up a code scanner and see if something is there.

That is what I'm thinking but not sure...are they still using OBDII's?

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the engine is missing, it will set a misfire code and turn on the MIL light.

Not always Shark. I have had plenty of F-150 (and other models for that matter) misfires that did not set a check engine lamp right away and log a misfire code. Several things are envolved. Like is the misfire monitor active and/or completed a drivecycle. Some misfires are random enough that the misfire monitor cannot determine a specific cylinder and sometimes/sometimes not sets a random misfire code. Cold engine misfires can be attributed to many things, but more times than not fuel quality is the culprit. Reading through this thread makes me believe that there are several 6.2L owners describing a similiar concern, though most state it is when hot with one stating that it goes away when hot. Cannot say if it is a concern without hearing it but will certainly monitor our TSB/SSM database and let you know if anything arises.

FSM

Fido

Reaction score
I got my 6.2 in April when the temps were still below freezing, it started smooth and quiet. When the temperature got warm, it was a cage of pissed off monkeys on cold startup. Now that it's cold again, smooth starting. I changed the oil at 7000 miles in July with Mobil1, it started rough before and after. Now with about 11000 miles on it and 7 degrees F. this morning, smooth starting.
I can't make heads or tails of this so I just go with it and enjoy the truck.

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed an intermittent valve ticking at start up sometimes , anybody else with a 6.2 notice this issue ? 1200 miles with stock oil in it still. :Grenade: