6.2 intermittent valve train ticking noise at start up ??????????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RV67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2 valve train noise

Hello - First off..just have to say Thanks for answering our questions !!

I have the 6.2 and at about 1500 miles I started hearing lifter ticking (1-2 secs.) only on warm start-up.Even after it sits for two hours.Its intermittent....As of this post I have 2528 miles on the truck.It still runs like a Ford should.

I am going to change my oil in the a.m. and will be using Motorcraft Full synthetic and Motorcraft Filter.

I know its a long shot but its for my peace of mind.

BTW - I do NOT abuse my vehicles and I drive 'em with respect.

Thanks

quicksinner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 6.2 and it does the same thing. I think if you read around, it's a common problem. Not sure what is the cause, as I'm not too concerned. Sounds like the lifters ticking until oil pressure gets up to them.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 6.2 and it does the same thing. I think if you read around, it's a common problem. Not sure what is the cause, as I'm not too concerned. Sounds like the lifters ticking until oil pressure gets up to them.

+1, agree

OP
OP
RV67

RV67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My driveway is at a slight incline and thats when I always notice it.But today I parked on flat ground and went out 2-hours later and it didnt Rattle.Oh and yes I changed the oil sunday and no differance.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the 6.2 might have some sort of emissions control solenoid or something that puts out a rattle that sounds a lot like valve clatter... noticed it the other night on lvdezertdawg's 6.2 while we were aiming the lights. Intermittent clatter at idle but the way it started and stopped made me think it's not the valves.

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you should say that. I was out aiming my new Rigid bar and noticed the same. I don't think it's the A/C compressor, but sure cycles on and off.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does it sound like a rattle?

Sassy__Polka_dot_rattle.jpg

SharkRescue

Reaction score
The ticking noise is there until the oil pressure reaches the lash adjuster. It is considered normal. Some engine designs are more prone to it than others. It does not affect the durability of the engine.

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who has his raptor down for 30 days while ford replaces the heads due to a bad tick once warm. Apparently the parts come from Roush, I still would be crazy if mine was down that long for even a full engine replacement.
Dennis

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This engine was definitely warm and the "clatter" continued to cycle on and off with the a/c turned off.

Sounded a lot like valve noise but the starting and stopping makes me think it was something else