50 mph and Sudden Downshift to 1st Gear!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon###

Reaction score
I was driving along at 50 mph when the truck suddenly down shifted to first gear, the rear tires locked up for a few seconds and the engine went up to 5000+ rpm.

I found the recall for the transmission but supposedly my truck is outside of the build dates being recalled. Has anyone else been in this situation?

'12 Screw 6.2 with 85k miles

Gilligan

Reaction score
I was driving along at 50 mph when the truck suddenly down shifted to first gear, the rear tires locked up for a few seconds and the engine went up to 5000+ rpm.

I found the recall for the transmission but supposedly my truck is outside of the build dates being recalled. Has anyone else been in this situation?

I've had downshifts with the cruise control set while going down a hill. But nothing that severe.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score

Have you taken it to Ford yet? I'm sure you can make a case for being included in the recall or at least having it fixed with something as severe as that. That's a safety issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Brandon###

Reaction score
Went to the dealership this morning. I got the response I was expecting, "It's not listed under the recall in the system, sorry there is nothing we can do. You're out of the warranty period. There's also no fix listed for that recall. Here's a number you can call"

I'll start a case with Ford on Monday. Its definitely a safety issue. Imagine driving in front of an 18 wheeler when your truck decides to downshift to first gear doing 50+mph.

Last edited:

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate ford's service, mine is listed for the recall and they told me September or October. I asked if something goes wrong with it till, then what. She said and I "quote" nothings actually wrong it's just a software issue. Ford will fix it. I laughed

OP
OP
B

Brandon###

Reaction score
I hate ford's service, mine is listed for the recall and they told me September or October. I asked if something goes wrong with it till, then what. She said and I "quote" nothings actually wrong it's just a software issue. Ford will fix it. I laughed

Haha, nothing is wrong until your tailgate is relocated to inside the cab. Spontaneous, unreproducable, downshift into 1st gear is a scary thing.

Tango_9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, and mine is on the recall list! And I have a tune, so dump the tune, get the fix whenever it comes out, re-install the tune and pray I guess, ugh!

Five-O Donut Hole

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whatever happened to our Forum Ford rep. that was supposed to help us owners out with this kind of issue. Did the rep. just jump ship and never been heard from since?