4x4 issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andyjimenez

Reaction score
Hey everyone I could use some of your sound advice. I was looking at some property in Georgia after the heavy rains of the last week when I surprisingly got stuck. Heres the scenario: Drove down into a valley to see the creek and as I started to go up the incline I started spinning out. Breaked, put the truck into 4x4 L and tried again. No error messages popped up and it went through the normal motions suggesting it had succeeded. It even switched to 4x4L on the display. Tried to go forward again..... kept spinning out except only my rear tired were spinning out, my front tires lacked rotation. I tried swtiching to high and still nothing. It was weird because I could here the transfer case clicking every time I swtiched in and out of 4x2 and 4x4. I was SOL. Thought it might be a fuse, didnt work, so I was stuck. I eventually got pulled out by a friend but has this ever happened to someone? Where the truck acts like the 4x4 is engaged and you can even hear the transfer case clicking in but the front tires never actually rotate? Looking for any and all advice because the dealershipo just called and said it looked fine and I basically told them to check again I just dont know what to tell them to check.

OP
OP
A

andyjimenez

Reaction score
The dealership finally believed me and found that a solenoid when bad so they replaced it and all is good!

D

Deleted member 12951

Make sure to take it out and try 4x4 but I am sure you know that. I wouldn't trust the dealership right off the bat, mainly because they told you first that there was nothing wrong.

Read up on IWE's. If you have vacuum then there is 2wd, if you don't have vacuum then 4x4. Vacuum keeps the iwe's from engaging

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The dealership finally believed me and found that a solenoid when bad so they replaced it and all is good!

I'm glad to hear that your dealership took care of this for you, andyjimenez. Thanks for sharing the outcome with us!

Crystal

mobob

Reaction score
We had this happen on a truck at Snoball this year. We popped the vacuum lines off where it's connected to the solenoid to released the vacuum which engaged the hub. It was easier than pulling the vacuum from the IWE's to get the same results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk