4 wheel drive problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
since i have not owned either of them, i can not tell you either way. i do know that visiting the toyota forums, there are people with issues, just not sure how mny are affected by it. i know chevy has trasmission problems. lots of burnt up transmissions and or broken drivelines, usually under stress from towing

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
we have a lot of power especially if you use e-30 like I do. The best thing is to have it in 4x4 before you ever need it. now I still cracked my IWE because of all the power new to me at the time and was on grass with deratracts no it should not have broke but with power comes week spot's. you can be traveling straight down a road let off the e-30 put it in 4x4 I usually give it a few burps of e-30 then it's set. If you get stuck id put it in neutral reverse forward before applying the e-30. yes a week part but that doesn't leave you stranded just stuck. I still need to buy a winch.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so do I need to always set it to Neutral first before switching to 4L or 4H? Or just simply keeping my foot on the brake and switching would be fine?

For 4lo you have to shift to neutral, for 4hi you don't.

BUT I DO. I'm Skeeered of gears popping and clanking.

The benefit that the Ford systems have over the others, is that when it breaks, it breaks and (* almost always) reverts to 4WD when broken.

not 2WD

Think about that.. you get ultimate reliability (at the expense of ultimate frustration, when a single part of it goes). But the parts are dirt cheap.

Test your 4wd monthly, sync it with your manperiod (or your spouses).

Last edited:

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 4lo I believe you have to shift to neutral
But for 4hi you don't, BUT I DO

The benefit that the Ford systems have over the others, is that when it breaks, it breaks and (* almost always) reverts to 4WD when broken.

not 2WD

Think about that for a minute

That's interesting. So what you're saying is in the event 4wd is needed, you'll always get it! :)

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, like good Pootie tang - running hot and cold, and always on tap.

You may now advance

Last edited:

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 4lo you have to shift to neutral, for 4hi you don't.

BUT I DO. I'm Skeeered of gears popping and clanking.

not 2WD

Think about that.. you get ultimate reliability (at the expense of ultimate frustration, when a single part of it goes). But the parts are dirt cheap.

Test your 4wd monthly, sync it with your manperiod (or your spouses).

And by testing, just test it on pavement correct? The test is just to observe if there are any clunks or abnormal sounds correct?

Last edited:

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And by testing, just test it on pavement correct? The test is just to observe if there are any clunks or abnormal sounds correct?

Yes, but No ********* (sorry, im on my pre manperiod).

I'm suggesting you find some dirt and test it on dirt. If there is no dirt, find a construction site or use kitty litter? Better yet, go on a monthly road trip.

You CAN do it on pavement, but now your stressing the system, and remember, no turning in 4wd on pavement, keep the wheels straight.

Forget that, find dirt, and only then may you advance.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys I still have not had a chance to check through the system. And to be honest I need to study the system a little better and figure out correct vacuum and what not. I don't go off road often, but it would be nice to not have to worry if the 4wd will engage. Or just as important if it will disengage.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's interesting. So what you're saying is in the event 4wd is needed, you'll always get it! :)

Nearly true! Except for the fact that your IWE will fail continually! Just like mine this morning when I need it in a snow storm!

I can't tell you how many times it's been in for service for this and related issues. Not exaggerating, I've lost track.