4 wheel drive problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I took my raptor to the beach, and found myself in some soft sand. When I engaged my 4 hi and started moving forward I heard a loud clank in the front end. I put it in reverse and it come right out and went forward with no trouble. Thought it might just be I had the wheels turned too tight. Once I came back home days later put it in 4 hi and my service 4wd light came on and it wouldn't shift back to 2wd. I was wondering if anyone had simular issues. Thanks for yells help.

Attachments

• 20161128_164248.jpg
    20161128_164248.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 20161128_164255.jpg
    20161128_164255.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 20161125_151409.jpg
    20161125_151409.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 123

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have had nothing but 4wd problems. finally after 97,000 miles i got it fixed.i have had so many parts replaced, i dont remember where they went. i had the same issue of it not disengaging 4wd. but it only happened a couple times. i know both 4wd actuators were replaced, vacuum pump, wheel hubs, axles, transmission rebuilt, finally during this last attempt, they actually got it. when i had the disengaging problem i was at prairie city offroad park outside sacremento. this must have been a couple years ago. but it would not disengage and finally after multiple attempts to engage, disengage, engage, etc. it finally got out of 4wd. i unfortunately dont know what the dealer did, but they were able to diagnose and fix that problem. however my 4wd problems persisted up until 2 weeks ago

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have had nothing but 4wd problems. finally after 97,000 miles i got it fixed.i have had so many parts replaced, i dont remember where they went. i had the same issue of it not disengaging 4wd. but it only happened a couple times. i know both 4wd actuators were replaced, vacuum pump, wheel hubs, axles, transmission rebuilt, finally during this last attempt, they actually got it. when i had the disengaging problem i was at prairie city offroad park outside sacremento. this must have been a couple years ago. but it would not disengage and finally after multiple attempts to engage, disengage, engage, etc. it finally got out of 4wd. i unfortunately dont know what the dealer did, but they were able to diagnose and fix that problem. however my 4wd problems persisted up until 2 weeks ago

Did your dealer at least explain to you what the issue was and what they did to fix your 4x4 issue?

I don't off-road my Raptor so I very likely will never use the 4x4 function. However I would still like that to be fully functional regardless. Before I bought my Raptor a couple of months ago, the sales rep was driving it and showing me how to switch to 4x4 as a demonstration. When he switched while driving I didn't hear any noise and everything seemed fine. Is there anything I should do to verify whether it "clunks" now?

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did your dealer at least explain to you what the issue was and what they did to fix your 4x4 issue?

I don't off-road my Raptor so I very likely will never use the 4x4 function. However I would still like that to be fully functional regardless. Before I bought my Raptor a couple of months ago, the sales rep was driving it and showing me how to switch to 4x4 as a demonstration. When he switched while driving I didn't hear any noise and everything seemed fine. Is there anything I should do to verify whether it "clunks" now?
if engaging while moving, dont use the gas for a few seconds after you switch to 4wd. if possible come to a complete stop, engage 4wd and count to 5 before driving off. this gives the 4wd the best opportunity to fully engage. the clunk and other noises you hear are placing excessive wear on hubs and axles because the 4wd is not fully engaged. if you have come to a complete stop and engage 4wd and still have noises, it could be an actuator or vacuum pump thats malfunctioned. this last repair to my 4wd had both hubs, passenger side front axle and one of the 4wd actuators replaced. the hubs and axles were replace due to excessive wear because of the clunk and popping from not being fully engaged. this actuator may have been the root cause of my 4wd issues because i actually have a working 4wd system now

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if engaging while moving, dont use the gas for a few seconds after you switch to 4wd. if possible come to a complete stop, engage 4wd and count to 5 before driving off. this gives the 4wd the best opportunity to fully engage. the clunk and other noises you hear are placing excessive wear on hubs and axles because the 4wd is not fully engaged. if you have come to a complete stop and engage 4wd and still have noises, it could be an actuator or vacuum pump thats malfunctioned. this last repair to my 4wd had both hubs, passenger side front axle and one of the 4wd actuators replaced. the hubs and axles were replace due to excessive wear because of the clunk and popping from not being fully engaged. this actuator may have been the root cause of my 4wd issues because i actually have a working 4wd system now

Thanks for the info. Would you say the 4wd system is "delicate" in a sense that it could develop issues again for no real reason even though yours is fixed and working now?

As mentioned earlier, I don't do offroading and here in Houston, TX, I don't see myself probably ever needing to engage the 4WD to truly use it. But it's a bit disheartening that such a badass truck can have such a problematic 4wd system.

It sounded like you've had 4wd issues since the day you bought it brand new from the dealership, so it's not like it failed after significant wear and tear. I hope it's not as "delicate" as I'm led to believe from reading everyone's issues including yours. It's just a bit contradicting for a truck of this stature to not have a robust 4wd system.

David

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I NEVER engage 4x4 mode while moving! I don't care want they say about these modern 4x4 systems. I treat it like the old days. Stop, engage, wait a moment and then take off slowly at first. No problems here after 3 1/2 years.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I NEVER engage 4x4 mode while moving! I don't care want they say about these modern 4x4 systems. I treat it like the old days. Stop, engage, wait a moment and then take off slowly at first. No problems here after 3 1/2 years.

Ok, so do I need to always set it to Neutral first before switching to 4L or 4H? Or just simply keeping my foot on the brake and switching would be fine?

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so do I need to always set it to Neutral first before switching to 4L or 4H? Or just simply keeping my foot on the brake and switching would be fine?
the 4wd system is not good in these trucks. not just raptors, but all the ford truck that utilize the same components. and yes, since i bought the truck new, i have had problems. neutral is only necessary when engaging 4low. at a stand still, the wheels arent moving so you dont necessarily have to switch to neutral for 4 hi.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 4wd system is not good in these trucks. not just raptors, but all the ford truck that utilize the same components. and yes, since i bought the truck new, i have had problems. neutral is only necessary when engaging 4low. at a stand still, the wheels arent moving so you dont necessarily have to switch to neutral for 4 hi.

How do the Ford 4wd systems compare to Toyota and Chevy? Sorry...I am just not well versed in this knowledge.

Do other makes have issues with 4wd systems as well?