GEN 1 4 Low to 4 High Sticks in Neutral then Grinds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
yea if you guys are all shifting into drive while you have your tcase in neutral trying to shift into 4lo you are doing it wrong.

ALL THREE OF YOU. what do you thinks gunna happen when you give power to the system that is asking for neutrality?????

:slap: What’s your mechanical background again? There’s a difference between shifting out of neutral because you’re impatient and shifting out of neutral because the truck is erroneously telling you everything is good to go.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:slap: What’s your mechanical background again? There’s a difference between shifting out of neutral because you’re impatient and shifting out of neutral because the truck is erroneously telling you everything is good to go.

my mechanical background is a deep understanding of how to work on and use things right in such a way i would never go to dealer or a mechanic. while others have that as the first thing they do.

if the truck says its successfully shifted into 4lo and then you shift into Drive and it messes up??? thats completely different than whats been explained up to this point so that would be news to me.

did i make a thread about not knowing how to use 4wd? no.
good luck with asking people for help then bitching about said help when you still cant clearly explain your issue and the video that was posted was using the 4wd system wrong.
:specialed:

edit i just went back and watched the video again thinking im way out of place.
nope, you are not using 4wd right lololololololololol.
pulling forward doesnt mean put it back into drive and give it gas. you are using it WRONG.

Last edited:

RaptArAz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my post I stated I did not apply throttle (as the OP did) and attempted to rock the truck back and forth because yeah, no shit the truck isn't going any where with the t-case stuck in neutral. However, this only happened when attempting to exit 4lo as shifting into 4hi and 4lo worked fine. This isn't my first rodeo so I understand the concept of binding which this clearly was not.

If you have the mechanical aptitude to perform the work yourself then great, I'm jealous of your mechanical skills and wish I had the time to be so inclined. However, can't think of any meaningful reason as to why I wouldn't go to the dealer for a truck I just purchased with warranty coverage.

Last edited:

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In my post I stated I did not apply throttle (as the OP did) and attempted to rock the truck back and forth because yeah, no shit the truck isn't going any where with the t-case stuck in neutral. However, this only happened when attempting to exit 4lo as shifting into 4hi and 4lo worked fine. This isn't my first rodeo so I understand the concept of binding which this clearly was not.

If you have the mechanical aptitude to perform the work yourself then great, I'm jealous of your mechanical skills and wish I had the time to be so inclined. However, can't think of any meaningful reason as to why I wouldn't go to the dealer for a truck I just purchased with warranty coverage.

are you two people, or did you log into another account? i was talking to OP about OPs problem.
i agree i would go to dealer for sure if i was having issues and couldnt figure it out.

its 100% clear to see the OP is not shifting into 4lo correctly if you watch the video. i dont know what the issues is with me pointing that out. especially since its the whole reason for the thread.....

RaptArAz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALL THREE OF YOU. what do you thinks gunna happen when you give power to the system that is asking for neutrality?????

my mechanical background is a deep understanding of how to work on and use things right in such a way i would never go to dealer or a mechanic. while others have that as the first thing they do.

It appeared implied that I was being addressed as 'one of the three' and in your subsequent post as well, so I wanted to clarify my situation as it pertained to the OP (due to the sounds being pretty spot on, minus throttle application).

At any rate I don't think there's anything worth derailing the thread over here. Sounds like everyone has satisfactorily resolved the varying issues. The experience did make me briefly pine for the olden simplicity of the floor shifter and manual hubs, though.

Last edited:

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It appeared implied that I was being addressed as 'one of the three' and in your subsequent post as well, so I wanted to clarify my situation as it pertained to the OP (due to the sounds being pretty spot on, minus throttle application).

At any rate I don't think there's anything worth derailing the thread over here. Sounds like everyone has satisfactorily resolved the varying issues. The experience did make me briefly pine for the olden simplicity of the floor shifter and manual hubs, though.

yea the post above that post you are quoting, the OP stated he took it to three different mechanics.

lol you are the one with something to prove here not me. im simply answering questions on a thread of questions and people saying they want help.

Curt Kautsch

Reaction score
well that got off track......any valuable advice beyond whats mentioned above? I'm going to try the grease on the connection as i've deleted my IWE system all together and replaced the TC motor..no dice as far as 4L is concerned. I can eventually get 4L to engage so it could very well be user error. 4H works perfectly so i don't think my TC is trashed.

Any advice is helpful..

Dblex

Reaction score
For the record, My 2014 w/121k miles did this too. But the rev in the video isnt the driver. Mine did that and would raise the speedo and tach and grind. Good news is I just got off the phone with the dealer and they caught the transfer case during this grinding/failure, sending all kinds of failure codes. So they are replacing mine.

And for arguments sake, my situation was exactly as the video.

vtwinjunkie

Reaction score
Thanks OP and helpful contributors to this thread.

Mine is doing this as well. can confirm I am not giving it gas when shifting to drive as the dash indicates. 2013 with 65k miles, all stock never off-roaded or jumped that I know of, I have the meticulous service record since new.

Havent checked forescan yet for codes. Might try to do that before taking it in.

Truck came with a platinum warrantee (unfortunately not FORD warranty but supposedly good) so I think I will let Ford have a look at it rather than spend my own money.