3rd Brake Light conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billy_Rocket

Reaction score
Long time lurker, 1st post. I have searched here and googled to no solid answer.

I have the 3rd brake light with leds burned because of water intrusion. I don't want to spend $300 plus for a new one that may not last that long anyway even if I seal it. My question is can I use a non Raptor F150 3rd brake light with a new wire harness and not have any fault codes? From some of the non Raptor F150 photos I have seen with hill decent control the lens has the red in the center for brake. I would put in leds for the cargo and for the brake and seal the shit out of it and forget about it. If a led goes no big deal put in a new led and reseal.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why not fix the OEM LEDs if you say it's no big deal for you to replace LEDs and reseal?

Technically, you need the three red running lights to meet DOT requirements, being over 80" wide and all.

What you could do is pick up a three led center light for a boat trailer (simliar to this) and mount it to the bed under the tailgate/above the bumper. Tap into your running lights and you then are still legal and can run the non-Raptor third brake light. That's how dually trucks have their lights setup from the factory typically (also over 80" wide).

I don't see why it'd throw any codes, I doubt the truck's BCM can discern if those 3 LEDs are there or not. Try unplugging it altogether and running around a bit without it to test.

OP
OP
B

Billy_Rocket

Reaction score
^^^^^
Why not fix the OEM LEDs if you say it's no big deal for you to replace LEDs and reseal?

I meant the leds in the non raptor 3rd brake light. If one of them go cheap easy fix if OEM led goes hole light is junk