2014 Unnecessary Up Shifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAFordGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2014 has about 1200 miles on it. First 600 were a mix of city/hwy next 600 were all hwy. Every time I take my foot off the gas, city or hwy, the truck up shifts to the next gear. When I then add gas it feels laggy, I add a little more, still laggy, add some more pressure on the pedal, boom, down shift, RPM spikes way up, truck jerks forward, passenger looks at me like I'm an *******, I let off the gas and it up shifts again.... repeat. Driving me nuts.

I found some other post about this but it seems to be more a 5.4 issue. Will an after market tune fix this, or is there an easier answer like unhook the battery for 15 mins and have it relearn my driving/reset shift points?? I saw some of the 5.4 guys in 2010 had the dealer flash the shift tables and then drive the **** out of it for 200 miles or so to have the truck relearn. Didn't know if this still worked for 2014 or what.... I live in a populated area so I'm constantly adjusting speed for other traffic/ lights.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My 2014 has about 1200 miles on it. First 600 were a mix of city/hwy next 600 were all hwy. Every time I take my foot off the gas, city or hwy, the truck up shifts to the next gear. When I then add gas it feels laggy, I add a little more, still laggy, add some more pressure on the pedal, boom, down shift, RPM spikes way up, truck jerks forward, passenger looks at me like I'm an *******, I let off the gas and it up shifts again.... repeat. Driving me nuts.

I found some other post about this but it seems to be more a 5.4 issue. Will an after market tune fix this, or is there an easier answer like unhook the battery for 15 mins and have it relearn my driving/reset shift points?? I saw some of the 5.4 guys in 2010 had the dealer flash the shift tables and then drive the **** out of it for 200 miles or so to have the truck relearn. Didn't know if this still worked for 2014 or what.... I live in a populated area so I'm constantly adjusting speed for other traffic/ lights.

It's programmed to do this. By upshifting ASAP, it keeps the RPMs lower and supposedly saves fuel. In reality, it's incredibly annoying. I usually press the tow/haul button in bumper-to-bumper traffic so it holds my gears longer and it seems to fix the issue. A tune will fix it permanently.

dsoren10

Reaction score
Just an FYI, my 2013 I bought in May drives exactly the same way. Super annoying! I bought the 5 Star tuner and it helps but still doesn't shift great.

Also, tow haul mode on my truck doesn't seem to adjust the shift pattern at all. The only thing I've noticed is that it will down shift on grades when in tow/haul. The annoying thing is that when towing a trailer, the truck is constantly trying to shift up even on a hill or when I have my foot in it. Is this normal or typical?

Ford replaced the transmission pump at 5K miles due to a bad casting on the pump leaking. The leak prevented the transmission from producing enough pressure to properly lock the torque converter. I fear that problem is now coming back because it freewheels down hill again, just like before. Even though the transmission is shifting down to help slow the decent with engine breaking.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow, did warranty replace whole transmission or just replace defective parts?

If just parts make sure you inform them ASAP because if you continue to have problems they have to replace the transmission.

And did you contact 5Star and tell them your still not happy? He has a good rep on costumer service.

Last edited:

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 star tune and mine shifts absolutely perfectly. The logic is spot on and you're always in the right gear. 1-2 shift slams pretty hard at full throttle. You can hardly tell with the stock exhaust but if you watch the tach, the downshifts are rev matched as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
VAFordGuy

VAFordGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 star tune and mine shifts absolutely perfectly. The logic is spot on and you're always in the right gear. 1-2 shift slams pretty hard at full throttle. You can hardly tell with the stock exhaust but if you watch the tach, the downshifts are rev matched as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Which tune did u get? Ive been using 91 Sunoco, but could go 93 if that tune works better.