2013 Transmission / Torque Converter Slipping in 4th Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMRON

Reaction score
Long time lurker, 4th time poster! I seem to be having a shifting problem but thought I'd check with the experts before taking it into the stealership.

2013 Raptor with 11k miles on it. I notice once I get into 4th gear, my RPM's will climb to about 2500 RPM's at medium throttle and then back off about 200-300 RPM's before climbing again until it shifts into 5th gear. Every gear seems to be shifting normally but it definitely feels like it is slipping once into 4th gear. No codes / no notifications visible on the dash. It makes me think it has something to do with overdrive locking up the torque converter but why would it do this in 4th gear and not 6th?

Not sure if it is related but I also get a "hard to describe screech" noise under heavy acceleration. The only thing I can attribute to the noise is that it is similar to a vette I had several years ago. The clutch was going out and this same "hard to describe screeching noise" was evident under hard acceleration as the clutch slipped.

Has anyone else noticed something similar?

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you able to ever get an answer to this? I experience something similar in which it will climb to about 2500 RPM in 4th, then drop to 2300, then sort surge like it "WANTS" to shift into 5th but can't. If I push the gas down a little bit more, it will go right into 5th.

This only seems to happen going up hills in which the truck is fighting its own weight.