2013 Sync Dead - Replacing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J0shM1lls

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I saw that there was an update to the newest version of SYNC software that adressed some issues, I figured what the hell, I'll update it. I ordered my A4 map card from them first (A3 card won't work with update - new card is free), then downloaded the update to a usb drive and went down to my truck and started the update. About halfway through, a window popped up stating the update failed, either it ran out of space or the update was not meant for that vehicle. I waited about a half hour watching the screen reboot over and over, "Sync is now performing routine maintenance" and only gets about two ticks and and it shows the ford shutdown logo and reboots all over again. FML, SYNC is dead; no radio, no nav, no nada... I decided to take it in to my local ford dealer this morning and left it with them for a few hours and I got a call from the tech stating that the SYNC module is in an "unrecoverable state" and he needs to order and replace the module... UGH, so I'll be making another trip in on Thursday to hopefully remedy the issue... I'm just curious to see if anyone else has had anything simliar to this.

Josh

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you shouldnt have to use a usb. i thought you inserted the sd card into the slot and left in there. mine is in and has never came out.

MasterChief

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sync was why I didn't get the raptor luxury package (I really wanted those heated seats too).my wife has had so many problems with hers that I didn't want to deal with it.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks...but glad you are getting a new sync module... Hopefully that will fix things...updating sync is a pain and takes for freaking ever...I is such a pain in the ass for me I just take mine to the dealer and let them do it while I ******** with the guys...

The Stink My Ride website sucks...one would think MS and Ford could build a decent site...oh well...

Fred

OP
OP
J0shM1lls

J0shM1lls

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were a few bugs in the previous software revision so I'm hoping this new update solves them. Allegedly it has better voice recognition and better maps so well see. I looked up the price of the SYNC module ($650) so I'm glad this one is covered lol... It usually takes around 60 minutes to update SYNC and I'm a techie guy so I like doing these kinda things myself, specially since I like to steer clear of stealerships at all costs. So far these guys are cool though. We'll see tomorrow!

Josh