2013 SCREW 15,000 Steering Column Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Jurassic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I need some help, I consider myself more then average on the mechanical side of things but this one has me stumped.
This is the situation;
Offroading in 4-HI and really working the steering wheel from left to right going down high speed trails or doin donuts. After the fun is done I have a chatter in the steering wheel that feels like its coming from the steering column. You cannot hear it outside the truck when I stick my head out the windows but every little bump you can literally feel in the steering wheel. When you turn off the A/C and radio you can hear the steering wheel chattering in accordinance with the knocking you feel. This knock is in 4-HI and 2-HI at this point.
This has happened 2 times to me so far. now here is where it gets interesting.
Once the engine sits and everything cools off and I take it to go home it seems like everything tightens back up and I don't feel it again.

So what would get hot enough to cause a chatter/knock in the steering column on even the smallest of bumps?

TXRPTOR37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey did you ever figure out what the problem was on this? I'm having the same issue with my 2013 screw with 12K miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXRPTOR37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm at the dealer right now waiting for them to look at it. I isolated the knocking noise in the wheel that I feel as occurring when I turn the wheel to the left. Even if I turn all the way to the right, as soon as I start turning back to the left I hear it. I don't hear anything outside the truck and no apparent issues with the PS pump. PS fluid level is good as well. I recall first noticing this problem during a 600 mile drive a few days ago and noticed more 'chatter' on the front left side whenever I hit a small bump and even when I brake.

Was planning to install my deavers today and PS reservoir and cooler. I'll keep you guys updated.

TXRPTOR37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanic couldn't find anything. We took it for a drive together and everything seemed normal. No noises or knocking. I leave with questions but figure it could've been a fluke. Drive it around the neighborhood down the street and it starts doing it again. Take it right back and another mechanic starts looking at it now. I'm glad I was able to finally show them the noise and they could feel it themselves. They are working on it as we speak.......

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Mechanic said lower steering shaft is binding and needs to be replaced. Won't have the part until Tuesday so I'll be driving it as is. Said there's no safety issue

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When the ps fluid gets hot the rack starts to clunk, I get this in the dunes in the summer, let it sit it cools down and everything is back to normal

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...Mechanic said lower steering shaft is binding and needs to be replaced. Won't have the part until Tuesday so I'll be driving it as is...

Let me know how the repair goes, TXRPTOR37. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you need my help.

Crystal

GT stang

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2013 raptor .. the longer I drive the louder it gets even if I am only driving in the street ..

I took it to the dealer ship to take a look at the steering column but the mechanic who tested the car with me said the sound come from the left ball joint .. they replaced it under warranty .. and everything seemed ok after the test drive .. until I was near my home it start doing it again

so let me know when you solve this issue