2013 Raptor strange power steering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LvDel

Reaction score
After offroading, the power steering became stiff, but only at very slow speeds. As a test, I parked the truck and tried to turn wheel in idle. Very stiff, but as I gave it gas over 3000 rpm, the power steering became normal-- still in park. What the hell is this? Can turn wheel totally normal, but again, only under applied gas over 3000 rpm. Under 3k, and while in park, wheel becomes near impossible to turn.

Seems to me it's some screw up with the computer system? Has anyone else had this issue, and has anyone else found a solution without taking their truck in?

Your help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First off it could be the iwe not the power steering. Search the forums they are vacuum released and when engaged it makes steering stiff when driving.

Second thing is check your power steering reservoir. Make sure there is fluid in it. After my first off road attempt I was half a pint low and it was all over the inside or the engine bay.

OP
OP
L

LvDel

Reaction score
in Park, not driving, stiff wheel until accelerator is applied, the more gas applied, the more un-stiff it becomes until normal. What would that possibly have to do with reservoir issues or any physical driving issue?

imdubious

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After offloading, the power steering became stiff, but only at very slow speeds. As a test, I parked the truck and tried to turn wheel in idle. Very stiff, but as I gave it gas over 3000 rpm, the power steering became normal-- still in park. What the hell is this? Can turn wheel totally normal, but again, only under applied gas over 3000 rpm. Under 3k, and while in park, wheel becomes near impossible to turn.

Seems to me it's some screw up with the computer system? Has anyone else had this issue, and has anyone else found a solution without taking their truck in?

Your help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Clean it up and bring it to the dealership. Mine did it at 1500 miles. the pump is burnt.

Step 2: order rpg Power steering reservoir.

when bouncing around your pump got slugs of air. the RGP reservoir keeps this from happening.

OP
OP
L

LvDel

Reaction score
Clean it up and bring it to the dealership. Mine did it at 1500 miles. the pump is burnt.

Step 2: order rpg Power steering reservoir.

when bouncing around your pump got slugs of air. the RGP reservoir keeps this from happening.

thanks,, sounds about right. Pretty krappy spending so much for a truck that cant handle simple off-road steering without the pump going bad under 1000 miles. I've noticed a lot of stuff that this truck "factory" is not up to par as advertised concerning offroading. I'm a moderate offroader, nothing too nutty. Now, I am hesitant to do any offroading with it anymore until some mods are made. Why are we paying 55k + for this?

SILVER

Reaction score
I bought my Raptor used at 29K and I don't think it had ever been off road. I just went off-roading in it for the first time at 45K and got it stuck in the mud. This killed my power steering. I'm reading all the threads on this and I'm confident it is the pump. I'm wondering why Ford is not doing a recall on this issue? It's obviously a design flaw. My first Silverado (2 wheel drive) went 180K on the first pump which only died after 30 min of non stop doughnuts. My second Silverado(4 wheel drive) went 235K until I sold the truck. It may still be working lol

Last edited: