GEN 1 2012 HVAC mode selector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blukrom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for some input from a Ford tech.
I have a problem with the HVAC being stuck on the panel vents. I replaced the mode selector actuator. Plugged it in and turned everything on. The vents changed to defrost and stayed there. They won’t switch to any other setting. I pulled it apart and tried to test the actuator. I selected different modes and the motor just turned one direction when selecting the floor defrost setting. It didn’t move at all on the other settings. I plugged in the old motor and it did the same thing. Could my new actuator be bad out of the box? Is there a way to properly test the actuator? Could I have another problem??
Help.

LXCoupe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you pull the hvac fuse and let it set for about 30mins? I replaced one of my blend actuators on my Explorer and it wouldn't blend properly until I removed the fuse and let the system reset. Once the fuse was inserted back and engine was turned on, the hvac does a relearn on all the actuators.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blukrom

Blukrom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks LX. I did pull the fuse but only for a minute or two. I will try it again and let it sit for longer.

Monan

Reaction score
My 2012 is doing the same thing...wont switch between Defrost and feet just stays on the panel no matter what is selected....

Temp and fans speed work fine

Monan

Reaction score
i pulled the fuse and waited over an hour and put it back in and ...it still won't switch to defrost.

Any other ideas???

OP
OP
Blukrom

Blukrom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on mode selector. It turned out to be the control module for the Climate controls. Mode actuators were fine. Unfortunately that part is $200 and not the $35 actuators. FYI if you need to replace it, it lives right under the center speaker and can be accessed by removing the rubber mat and 4 screws. It hides in there but you can get to it easy enough. The parts diagram shows it down low by the AC controls, after pulling apart half the dash I figured out it was no where near the location indicated on the diagram. I hope this helps save someone some time.

GVW299

Reaction score
I wish I had found this thread earlier. My mode motor would not calibrate from about a year ago so have had it removed and just on face so have not had defrost. I went through 3 mode motors thinking they were the problem. Eventually took it to Ford and they just told me $640 but did not explain that it was the HVAC module and not the mode motor - the guy told me it was a $40 part but 3 hours labor for $640 so I walked.

Took it to a local mechanic and he diagnosed a ground fault in the HVAC module. For a 2011, it is $124 from Tasca Dash Control Unit - Ford (BL3Z-19980-Z). For a 2012 up it is BL3Z-199880-U as that includes the cooling seats - $152. Quick plug and play under the center speaker and solved the problem.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had found this thread earlier. My mode motor would not calibrate from about a year ago so have had it removed and just on face so have not had defrost. I went through 3 mode motors thinking they were the problem. Eventually took it to Ford and they just told me $640 but did not explain that it was the HVAC module and not the mode motor - the guy told me it was a $40 part but 3 hours labor for $640 so I walked.

Took it to a local mechanic and he diagnosed a ground fault in the HVAC module. For a 2011, it is $124 from Tasca Dash Control Unit - Ford (BL3Z-19980-Z). For a 2012 up it is BL3Z-199880-U as that includes the cooling seats - $152. Quick plug and play under the center speaker and solved the problem.

I assume with cooled seats the part number is what you posted but one less 8 in the part #.