2012 6.2L loss of power on freeway, bucking Cylinder Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixtwopower

Reaction score
Hello First time posting here! I have a 2012 Raptor 6.2L. I was on the freeway and the truck suddenly lost power and the check engine light started flashing. I managed to limp it home running very poorly. It stalled 3 or 4 times but re-started ok. Sometimes it would run normally, other times it was missing and bucking badly. The check engine light became steady and Codes were Random misfires on cylinders 1,2,3, and 4. On a side note A few days ago I got a check engine light for a fuel level sensor malfunction but it went away on it's own before my mechanic could see it. So far Ive checked fuse 27 for the fuel pump and it looks good. Ive tried resetting the codes and disconnecting the neg. battery cable for 15 min. with no success. any ideas? Goes to my mechanic Monday morning

Five-O Donut Hole

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Coils packs? PCM? Plugs? Could be any one thing or a combo of a bunch a bunch of things. How many miles does it have and could you tell if it was driven hard/taken care of before you bought it? I'd take it in to someone who can diagnose what you have going on.

OP
OP
S

sixtwopower

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. My Truck has 134k miles. It's not perfect but wasn't beat on either. The truck ran excellent this morning when it was 90 degrees out. It gave me issues at 117 degrees if that makes any difference. I'm dropping it off tomorrow morning and will keep this post updated

OP
OP
S

sixtwopower

Reaction score
Filled the tank same day at a high volume station. Regular 87 octane as always. I also filled a 5 gal. Gas can at the same time so I'll check out the fuel and report back.

OP
OP
S

sixtwopower

Reaction score
The fuel I have appears fine, it's not separated and has no contaminates and ignites well but who knows. The mechanic pulled several codes because I drove it misfiring badly. We cleared it and after a short drive (running ok, slight miss)the check engine light returned with a P0420 bank 1 passenger catalytic convertor code. Mechanic told me to order a cat from Ford . I'm going to do some more research/tests before I drop $1,000 for a cat. Convertor. Anyone know of a good used cat for sale? Not a furry one either. Ill keep posting what I figure out as I still think my original problem is fuel related and I damaged the convertor driving it home sputtering and popping

OP
OP
S

sixtwopower

Reaction score
I had this happen once. It was bad fuel from a good station.
What was your solution smokinjo? That fuel is now run out of the truck to the point the low fuel lights been on for 15 miles. I'll go to a different station and dump some premium in it and report back

Smokinjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the Raptor, I added 4 bottles of Seafoam and Premium gas from Ammoco station. Cleared it up. On my Edge, had this happen and had to have the tank dropped and cleaned out to remedy the problem. Disconnect battery to try and clear codes after fill up. May or may not work. I was lucky.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could very well be a plugged catalytic converter. I had a hunk of shit '83 Chevy stepside once with a 305, one day decided not to start. Changed plugs, wires, HEI distributor cap & coil, fuel filter, everything else I could think of. Cut the exhaust before the cat and it fired right up and ran fine (albeit loud as **** lol).

I don't know if you could find a used one at a junkyard or not but it might be worth some calls, new they are ridiculously expensive. Platinum pellets ain't cheap. Eventually I'll eliminate mine as here in NM there are no smog regs, but that's a ways down on my list. Good luck.