2011 won't start, cranks fast, intermittent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpbowyer

Reaction score
I've put about 5000 miles on my raptor, it has 85k now.
After some off-roading with a little water splashing up into the engine bay, at a gas station the truck cranked for about 4-5 seconds without starting. Weird, but on the second try it just fired right up.

A week later, again right after off-roading, this time in the desert without water, it wouldn't start at my camp site. We opened the hood and while swapping relays around to diag a possible fuel pump relay, I heard relays clicking with the key on as we pushed on the fuse box area. So I tried cranking it again, while wiggling the fuse box housing, and it started right up, and towed my camper home 100 miles without a problem, stopped multiple times.

Thought we had it figured out, and ran out to grab some jalapeños to grill for Memorial Day, and the truck died at highway speed. Just lost engine RPM, all interior electrical worked like normal through all of this. I got it pulled over into a neighborhood (that is some heavy manual steering!) we hopped out and tried flexing the relay/fuse box again but no clicking this time. All other electrical is working like normal, seats, wipers, starter, gages, GPS screen, everything. I had a crescent wrench so I removed and cleaned the battery terminals, they had a bit of green fluffy corrosion.

Same deal. Had to leave it. It is only down the street from my "I have to punt" mechanic I've used a couple of times, so that's good. I'm not wanting to chase this down for days, is there a common or known issue with this one? Truck runs very strong otherwise, and everything works.

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
M

mpbowyer

Reaction score
I love you. It's back in the driveway. I won't have heated mirrors for a day but it's back. The 20a fuse was smoked. 15a from heated mirrors swapped in and it fired right up. Boom.

OP
OP
M

mpbowyer

Reaction score
So how does the relocation kit work? Does ford cover it like a recall or is it just an FYI this thing may fail type of thing. Also would you drive it with the 15a fuse for a while or will that blow / melt too? I guess it ran for 6 years with it like this.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So how does the relocation kit work? Does ford cover it like a recall or is it just an FYI this thing may fail type of thing. Also would you drive it with the 15a fuse for a while or will that blow / melt too? I guess it ran for 6 years with it like this.

I believe its just a tsb, or bulletin. maybe if it were under warranty they may cover it. but . I would change out the fuse to a 20 amp. it will more than likely blow again. then when you get a chance upgrade to the new relocation kit.