2011 raptor engine rattle and knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I took my raptor into the dealer on 11/11/11 for a rattle in the top of the engine and a loud knock in the lower part after warm up. THe dealer has now had it nearly 3 weeks, replaced the rockers, timing chains and tensioners, had the valve covers off 3 times and we still have Ford scratching their head. I am really getting disgusted with Fords approach to this problem and subsequent solutions.
The service manager at the dealership is advising a new engine, however ford is still throwing darts at the diagnostic dart board. At what point do they decide that a serious problem with the valve train and lower end do indeed exist and replace the engine. I really see a new Tundra in my near future.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took my raptor into the dealer on 11/11/11 for a rattle in the top of the engine and a loud knock in the lower part after warm up. THe dealer has now had it nearly 3 weeks, replaced the rockers, timing chains and tensioners, had the valve covers off 3 times and we still have Ford scratching their head. I am really getting disgusted with Fords approach to this problem and subsequent solutions.
The service manager at the dealership is advising a new engine, however ford is still throwing darts at the diagnostic dart board. At what point do they decide that a serious problem with the valve train and lower end do indeed exist and replace the engine. I really see a new Tundra in my near future.

Cool... Move on to the foreign world... :waytogo:

Tejas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tundra? Enjoy your ugly, bland interior, even worse gas mileage, and much higher service and parts cost.

The only Toyota I would put in my garage would be a 4 door Tacoma and that's only if they offer it with a Diesel motor option at the 2014 redesign.

I know the Ford service sucks but you have to go to the top to get shit done with them. Don't lose faith in your Raptor over this, there's no other truck on the market that can match the Raptors capabilities off of the lot.

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno.. I like Toyotas and have had several over the years that were awesome!

I'm picking a Raptor right now but that doesn't mean Toyos aren't nice trucks.

I think the OP was speaking from a place of severe frustration which I can totally understand given his story. I'd be PISSED if I had my Raptor taken away from me for three weeks and even more if they had their heads up their butts.

From what I've seen, every manufacturer has good and bad dealerships and for that reason I've driven FAR out of my way to ensure I go to a good dealer and get great service.

I feel for ya Screaming.. Hang in there :waytogo:

~BGM

SaintsFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2008 Tundra limited 4x4 and it was okay, nothing to write home about. But IMO Ford now has the best trucks on the market and I'm really looking forward to my Raptor.

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score

yea bud good luck with toyotas services is impeccable....NOT..... they are the reason im buying a ford....complete disrespect an idiots. i had/have a 2008 tacoma trd sport loved it till i hit 20,000 miles. all a sudden round that mileage bed started squeaking when i put my exs 55lb huskey in it, motor knocked, tranny slipped,an steering column clicked loud. through the course of a 1 year time span i spent countless days off in numerous dealerships. many hours on the phone with reps an service techs an regional managers an such forth. it all boiled down to sansone dealership in nj finally had a "friend" pull tsb up for both issues on the truck that weren't fixed or admitted to. the steering column an bed squeek. both of these issues were known problems an had toyotas acknowledgment of the factory issue. i go there they admit there is a tsb an say we dont hear the problem(a typical dealer cop out) but we will order the parts an fix it no problem , i though thank god these guys are good people . 2 weeks later parts come in i get a call to go there an thats when it whent down hill. i was promised a loaner car free of charge ,get there an get feed a line that toyota took all there loaner cars away from them.(complete bs toytota dosnt issue loaner cars it the dealerships option to do that i was told such by several people including a toytoa rep)so i told my self who cares im geting the thing fixed had my laptop an ipod just relaxed for 6 hrs......get the truck back all smiles an handshakes both issues addressed an fixed...so i was told. i took the truck out an before leaving stood in the bed like a 5 year old an jumped up an down for a min didnt hear anything great i thought. i drive home all a sudden the click in the steering column is worst an the bed started squeaking by time i whent over the bridge. i call back an tell them its still not fixed an take my truck to my brothers shop he looked at it with his manager who used to be a toyota manager an they both agreed they did nothing but grease my leaf spring to high hell. so i called the rep they said go back an see what they say (alota help they were) the manager at sansone toyota says ok well have it looked at again so im there from 8 am to 4 pm on my one day of an they come back an this is the tail they have to tell......"the skid plate has a dent in it we believe you hit something causing the skid plate to bend into the steering column causing said click ,it will take 4 or 5 days to pull everything an see how much it will cost. as for the bed the service bulletin expired an we will need to wait for a new one to come in well need your truck for around 2 weeks an will be unable to provide an loaner"(fyi the only thing under my skid plate is my frame an if i hit a prius it wouldn't have been able to move the plate into anything other then my frame so complete bull ish ) i started asking questions as to how come i was told parts were replaced an no work was done(you may ask how i know it was done well like i said my brothers boss used to be a manager at toyota an he had a friend who owed him a favor come in an verified no new parts up to the service bullitens were put on) after i polietly ask questions i was threatened to leave or the cops would be called an ,told i was a punk kid who should go get a job(those of you who know what i do for a living know how comical i found this but i wouldn bite the bate).....state troopers were called an i had 4 different people(1 who was a toyota personnel) all say i was completely respectful an never raised my voice or said anything derogatorily.i had to explain my situation to the trooper who said an i quote"thats why im a ford guy" any way he left told the service manager to learn how to talk to people an not waste his time again. i was infuriated whent to ford an was offered a good deal on a trade in an here i am today toytotas rep did nothing until they caught wind i was trading it into ford an now they spent 2 months kissing my ass to witch i told them f off im done so good luck sir with toyota maby you should spend some time on a toytoa forum might be more productive being your moving on:waytogo: oh an you should watch the video on how weak the tundra preformed at fords proving grounds good choice to move on ........sorry for any grammatical errors im tired an had a long day good luck

twlhunter65

Reaction score
Had my truck in for service and had them take a look at the ticking sound the engine was making.First time they said,oh thats the fuel injectors making that sound.Second time when they did the mid perch adjustment i said, i heard it was a bad perge valve making the ticking, could you check it again.Well this time they said the same thing,fuel injectors are the ticking and it's normal.So is this a posability or not?

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard Toyota's never break...

Call Ford customer service and start bitching. Its about the best thing YOU can do right now.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had my truck in for service and had them take a look at the ticking sound the engine was making.First time they said,oh thats the fuel injectors making that sound.Second time when they did the mid perch adjustment i said, i heard it was a bad perge valve making the ticking, could you check it again.Well this time they said the same thing,fuel injectors are the ticking and it's normal.So is this a posability or not?

What year's your Raptor? The injectors do audible a little bit of ticking noise. There's a TSP on the purge valve for ticking, but iirc, its only for some of the 10's. Mine gets a little unusual tick every once in awhile, but its not enough to worry me, specially since there's no other indication anything is wrong.