2011 6.2 SCrew (purchased 1/7/2011) is stuck with the dealer for tranny issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck sat in the garage for a couple days but, hadn't had any prior issues other than "the clunk" which was fixed with a new drive shaft. This morning, at 34,720 miles, I was sitting at a traffic light when the information screen throws up an orange wrench. I'd been driving all of about ten minutes, mostly a 35-50mph with a couple minutes spent at highway speeds before getting stuck in traffic and exiting the highway where I got stuck at the traffic light.

I sat at the light long enough that I shut the truck off and hoped the light wouldn't come back. Well, the light didn't come back yet but, the truck acted like it couldn't find first gear when I tried to accelerate from a stop. The truck also felt like it was slipping out of gear when I came to a stop. This continued at the next two intersections as I got turned around and headed for the dealer. By the time I got off the highway again, the wrench had come back but, the truck actually seemed to be driving normally by the time I got back to the dealer. That was roughly 8am this morning.

The service advisor at the service ramp said the wrench and issues I described sounded like a misfire and rough idling to which I replied, "Idunno about that...The engine seems to be running quite smoothly when the truck's lurching. I really think this is some kind of weird tranny issue." Fast forward to about thirty minutes ago when I call the dealer because I hadn't heard anything all day. Now I'm told that sure enough, the trouble codes are transmission trouble codes (he wasn't sure what codes) but, the truck will be there for at least another day.

The truck isn't necessarily a street queen but, other than driving down fairly well maintained yet unpaved roads, it's never towed anything, never been jumped, and never been through water deeper than a shallow puddle on the street. It has been treated quite kindly because I'd like to keep it a while. I know there are two sides to every story but, having heard all the nightmares about warranty issues, I'm truly hoping I'm not about to be among those who get hosed by the dealer. I just bought a Mustang and my experiences with Houston area Ford dealers between the two vehicles are making me think these two might be my last Fords. The vehicles themselves are fine but the service departments range from just not giving a **** to not knowing what a Raptor is (Sterling McCall Ford, US 59 South) or being completely dishonest.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it! I had new clutches and a control assembly put in my at 23,750 miles. It runs better than when i got it from the factory new and the dealership had me a nice truck to drive around for almost a week while the problems were being figured. I didn't have any CELs.

OP
OP
G

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it! I had new clutches and a control assembly put in my at 23,750 miles. It runs better than when i got it from the factory new and the dealership had me a nice truck to drive around for almost a week while the problems were being figured. I didn't have any CELs.

My dealer made no such offer...fortunately, I have my Mustang for the daily commute. Only problem is I am screwed if I don't have a truck this weekend.

OP
OP
G

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
24 hours later...My service writer is in the hospital and the tech says he's testing a control module per Ford's request. I guess they are trying to find someway to say I fiddled with or otherwise screwed up the truck. Guess I'm going to be out of a truck for a while.

Update: And the truck will be there for at least another day while they wait for a valve body for the tranny. What makes a valve body break?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck was finally released on Friday, around 10am. New valve body installed and ECM/PCM updated with the latest software...All under warranty but, it does look like Ford had the tech do just about every test in the book to figure out if I'd done something to it. I'm almost glad I never messed with it now.

On the drive home, I did notice a weird 1-2 and 2-3 shift while leaving the first traffic light to catch me but, I haven't experienced that since then. Overall, I can't say I see any difference in the way the truck drives now versus before. Was told today that the truck may take up to 500 miles to relearn driving habits and shift strategies. I guess I'll drive the truck the rest of the week to knock out those 500 miles. That will put me at 35,000 miles in 13-months by the end of the week.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad they fixed it for you for now. Hope you don't have anymore problems

OP
OP
G

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks...I really like the truck, I just hope there aren't any more gremlins hiding in it.