2010 Raptor - Help highly appreciated !!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GermanRaptor

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need your help!!!

I´m from Germany and I´m driving one of the first stage 2010 Raptors (5.4L).
First of all the Truck is badass awesome - but you all know!!!

The Truck is with me now since 2012 and has 52.000miles.

I posted this mysterios problem earlier the year:

When it gets colder outside in fall & winter and the truck sits overnight I can´t bring him to life in the morning. Means I turn the key - the truck cranks - but is not firing up. The exhaust brings some smoke out and it smells badly like fuel.
I have to try this procedure several times and with luck he fires up after 4-more times cranking.

When its warm overnight then everything runs quite normal in the morning - one time cranking - firing up - idle near 1000rpm and coming down soon to normal.
BUT - it always smells like fuel badly when he fires up.

So, we could say now "go to the ford dealer" - problem: as soon as I´m entering the dealer - any dealer - they look like idiots from somewhere else "sorry we can´t help you, we only deal with european cars"

I have a real good mechanic but he´s already frustrated. We don´t know what else to do. The truck is as he came - all stock (except the exhaust)

We checked everything. No failure codes readable, nothing.
We changed already the canister purch valve (both, front and back).
We changed sparks and checked wiring. We checked all sensor data - nothing unusual.

The next thing that my mechanic wants to try is to change the CHT sensor.
My question is now, what are the symptoms of a failure of this sensor?
Can this may cause the trouble? And where is it exactly located (drawing or picture)

Summary:

- hard starting issues when sits overnight only when it gets colder at night (below 32F)
- over 32F (summer & spring) he runs ok and fires up normally but in my feeling he needs to much fuel (I´m aware of that this is a badass big truck and he needs a lot of fuel :-D but you can follow with a smooth way of driving that he needs to much fuel)
- The problem is there weather I use 95 octane or higher fuel
- no failure codes at all
- we changed already the canister purch valve and all the rest of the system
- we checked the air intake system - all seams fine
- new air filter
- new high performance sparks
- I got a software update earlier this year (was ok afterwords but came back to the status after 2-3 full fuel tanks)
- the truck is all stock - excepting a performance exhaust cut out before the rear tire
- when I bought the truck everything was fine for the first 5000miles and till winter came

So I´m not a mechanic - but it feels as the truck is drowning in the morning. Means as soon as I turn the key too much fuel is flooding the cylinders and he´s drowning and can´t fire up. The question is now if fuel is getting somehow overnight already in the cylinders or somewhere else or if too much fuel only gets in the engine right when turning the key. And it seams to be a temperature problem - because it only happens when cold outside.

As soon as the engine is warm I can place him somewhere, leave him sitting, engine gets cold again - turn the key - all good. It just happens when he sits overnight.

Your help is highly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot.

Cheers from Germany

Daniel

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Did you say you're running 95 octane or higher? What type of oil are you running?

OP
OP
GermanRaptor

GermanRaptor

Reaction score
yeah. we have 95 octane fuel, 100 octane fuel and ethanol (E85). I almost tried every type of since this problem showed up because my thought was also bad fuel.

you can feel the best "behavior" with the 100 octane.

Oil is as mentioned in all the papers: 5W20 synthetic since I bought it. Never changed the type of oil

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It could be the CHT sensor and could also be the MAF sensor

Also try turning the key on for 5 to 8 seconds before cranking and see if that helps.
If it does, fuel is draining back into the tank or like someone mention earlier, could be sticky injectors leaking.

I recommend a good injector cleaner with lubricant, not some cheap stuff either.
You could also try some "Dry Gas" additive, you might have some water build up in the fuel tank, I don't think that's the problem but It couldn't hurt.

To BackinBlack,
They use a different scale for fuel in Europe, their 95 Ron is like our 89 octane.
And a 100 Ron (95 octane) is like 2 Euros + a liter, that's like $8 + a gallon.

And I'm not a believer of putting 87 octane in a high performance Raptor, 5.4L or the 6.2L
If you think when the manual says it's OK to hear a little pinging when using 87 octane, but if you hear a lot of pinging then you need to bring it to a dealer.
I have to question the thinking of that, but to each his own.

Last edited:

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep its the RON rating. Try pulling them out one by one overnight and see if there is a puddle in the morning.

OP
OP
GermanRaptor

GermanRaptor

Reaction score
thanks so far!

fuel is a bit better (bit higher octane) than yours in the US. And as someone mentioned earlier its an high performance truck…and not a tractor. a better fuel should´t bring this engine down

but has anyone an idea why it only happens with cold temperatures?

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like I mentioned before, I suspect it's the M.A.F. sensor.
It might not be throwing codes but weak enough to throw the PCM off.
I believe they make a cleaner for the elements and you should check the connection (plug) for corossion.
Now this is my best guess, it could be lots of thinks.
When you turn the key the PCM checks multi sensors, M.A.F., M.A.P., C.H.T., I.A.T., fuel rail pressure, fuel tank pressure and a few more.

BTW, the Euro Ron rating is 4 to 5 points lower than the US rating, your 100 octane is our 95 octane and so on.

I'm working on getting the German links to Ford's owners websites where you can find the Pro site for the full instructions on how to test your truck.
But without Ford's diagnosis software and hardware your mechanic is going to have to get creative.

I can understand and speak German myself but reading and writing is very hard for me,
my wife can but she's being difficult at the moment.
You know how Germans are, especially when it comes to Christine. LOL

Update:

Ok it looks like it's not going to be on the Ford.de website.
So if you want me to email you the English .pdf file for you truck, email me by clicking on my screen name and I'll send it to you.

It's 2.38 Megs, 192 pages long

Last edited:

cubiefan101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a higher octane fuel and have never had any issues. I cant justify putting crappy fuel in my truck.