2010 Evil Wrench light and Trans issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got the evil wrench dash light yesterday and it persisted a little today as well.

Yesterday it turned on and off periodically during an extended drive (roughly 500-700 miles) and at one point the vehicle acted as if it was in neutral and would not move. I was pulling out of a parking lot in drive and it stopped accelerating and simply reved instead. I dropped a couple gears and then returned it to drive and it regained acceleration. I was simply turning around in the parking lot, the vehicle was never in parked or placed reverse during this time. So far the vehicle hasn't done the neutral/rev thing again but I did have the evil wrench light this morning. I drove it over to the dealership but the light turned off before I got there and they was too busy to pull codes at that time.

Anyhow, I figured I would see what the Pros here had to say about it.

2010 6.2L
90,*** miles

Background info.

I have made several trips to Colorado (from Dallas Texas, was returning home when this happened). During this time I had to use 4WD constantly to help with traction driving on snow and ice. I also used the tow/trailer switch to help change shifting points driving around hills.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check your air filter/intake. Every time I have seen the wrench light on a truck its been due to a intake issue (fully or snow/ice/mud/water, fallen off, etc).

OP
OP
SVTRay

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check your air filter/intake. Every time I have seen the wrench light on a truck its been due to a intake issue (fully or snow/ice/mud/water, fallen off, etc).

I'll check it for sure, Thanks.

OP
OP
SVTRay

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The problem went away for a short time, now it's back with vengeance! I don't think this is something as simple as an air filter.

Wrench light comes on and transmission slips worse than a Texan on ice. I just got home and it slipped at every intersection half way home. I guess it's time for a trip to the shop.

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My wrench icon has been on since the summer. Clean air filter no transmision issues. 2010 6.2, stays on with stock tune and any other one I put in. Ive thought about putting a new MAF sensor in it but havent had the time

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP
OP
SVTRay

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alright, I finally got the truck back from Ford. It had a lot of misc other stuff needed addressed as well like a leaky AC condenser and Power steering etc. I even had Ford re-shoe it with some of the new BFG A/T K02s!

Anyhow, the transmission issue was a faulty Mechatronics Control Unit.

Leading up to this all started roughly 3 months ago in January coming back from Colorado. I was about a mile from home when I was making a turn and the transmission slipped acting like it was in neutral! This triggered the first wrench light. I put the vehicle in park and then quickly back into gear and it started moving again. My wife got very sick at the same time and I started staying home with her. When we went any where, I would take her car since it was easier for her to get into instead of the truck.

So I only used my truck over the next 3 months to take our son to school a few blocks when the weather was cold or wet outside. I would get the wrench light periodically and as a result the truck would respond horribly in terms of shifting. This however would usually clear up as soon as I shut the vehicle off and drove it again the next day. The frequency was pretty intense the first month but all but quit the following month. It wasn't until the 3rd and final month when it gave me the biggest issue. I pulled out of our drive and as I began to merge onto the street, the truck slipped into a neutral like state and wouldn't move...no matter what I did. I ended up blocking traffic for a few minutes when it finally responded. Shifting was crazy the rest of the way until I parked it. I dropped our son off at school and then came home and called a wrecker.

Parts and labor for the Mechatronics Control Unit ran $2,000.

OP
OP
SVTRay

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I forgot to mention the wrench light came on about a 1/4 mile from the house the day I brought it home from the shop. The light came on again and stayed on this morning :mad::flipthebird: I called the dealership about it but haven't had the time to take it back. Interestingly enough though, the truck runs and drives great..almost like new. Usually it drives like shit when the wrench light is on. So maybe it's just some code stuck in the computer and just needs reflashed?

OP
OP
SVTRay

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, that $2,000 new Mechatronics Control Unit lasted about 4 days!

My wife wanted Starbucks and it's raining outside. Her SRT Charger can get sideways real easy on a dry sunny day. So we took the Raptor figuring it would be better if we ran across any high water as well.

Anyhow, the damn thing slipped right out of the driveway and instantly gave me the evil transmission dash light! I drove about 10 blocks and came to a stop. I shut the truck off, waited a few second and cut it back on hoping that would reset the light...which generally helps drivability. Wrong! I got a check engine light and the transmission light together! Now it want shift through all the gears...can't tell which ones but not more than a few. This wouldn't be an issue on a 30 yr old slush box! And it only has 91k on the clock.