Tried almost everything.. water spots glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aR4CE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the new raptor home and went right to detailing it. The windshield was filthy, but I thought I'd take my normal approach to it.... no luck.

It has really stubborn water spots (some white crud around bits of plastic on the cowl, too). So I'm thinking some serious acid rain neglect or an industrial area. I've tried glass cleaners and wipes, razor blade, and CLR treatement.

Help?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Try vinegar and water, try oo steel wool, I've tried everything myself and gave up on mine, good luck. I'm just waiting to get a new windshield

punchinpaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adam's Has something to help I am sure, but if not then you might try Weiman glass top range cleaner. I have used it in the past to remove some water spots but make sure not to get it on your paint. I do not know if it would cause any paint issues but just in case.

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
50/50 Water White Vinegar and Clay Bar

If hard water spots, maybe try 50/50 mix of distilled water and white vinegar in a spray bottle, wet the area and scrub with a high quality clay bar.

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 300ZX TwinTurbo that had the same issue. I used a product called Barkeepers Friend. Nothing else I tried would cut the whatever was on that windshield. That was in 2001. I have kept a can in my detailing kit since then. I just use it with a wet sponge.

I will get a photo uploaded for you...

Here ya go.

20160118_101133_1.jpg

Last edited:

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some good advice above.

If the clay bar does not help, then the steel wool could be tried. I would use OOOO just to make sure you don't end up with scratches.

If neither of those methods work, then the windshield will need to be machine polished with Adam's Polishes Paint Correcting Polishing and a Microfiber Foam Cutting Pad. If you don't have a machine polisher and don;t know anybody who does, you would have to go to a local detailing shop.

Are there any water spots on the rest of the glass or on the paint?

D

Deleted member 12951

I've have had good luck with distilled vinegar, not diluted, 100% full strength on a microfiber towel. I would try non abrasive things first.

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bronze Wool Pads

Consider Bronze Wool (Fine) Pads as alternative if go abrasive route, commonly used to polish chrome and other surfaces without marking.