Spring cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outdoorsmen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now after a long rough winter its it's time to make the raptor shine again. All last spring, summer and fall it'd get washed and waxed at least once a week so it has many good quality coats on. I'm wondering if I should clay bar and start all over to get all the winter salt and grime all before I wax again or sine I have so much wax on it already the grime will just wash away, no need for clay...

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should clay bar again. You can have the best wax or sealant in the world and still have contaminants stick. Even permanent coatings like Opti-Coat eventually need claying or paint decontamination.

After you wash, run your fingers gently over the paint and you should be able to feel that it needs to be clayed. Sticking your hand in a clear plastic sandwich baggy is the best way though to determine if paint needs claying because the bag amplifies any above surface contaminants.

Last edited:

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Always a good idea to clay after winter, but only if necessary.

The baggie test will be the determining factor. If it feels gritty, it's time to clay. If it's smooth, you're clear to polish/seal/glaze/wax as you see fit.

No sense in wasting time/product on something that's unnecessary...unless you just want the practice.