Scratches in Passenger Side Window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BKA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hard water and summer heat made for a perfect combination to dry water spots on my windows. Seems like nothing I did was getting rid of them so I took a scotch-brite pad and very gently (I though) started to clean my passenger side window. Seemed like it was working with no ill effects but I guess I got careless and now I have some scratches on the exterior of the window. I didn't think the glass would scratch that easily and since the window tinting is on the interior I thought I would be safe.

Any suggestions on getting small scratches out of the glass or do I just bite the bullet and replace it?

Also, what is the best method for getting hard water spots off auto glass?

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've used very fine steel wool to clean windshields for years with no ill effects. It's the easiest way to get baked on bugs off. Can't believe a scotch brite pad would scratch your glass.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

D

Deleted member 12951

I've used straight distilled vinegar for hard water spots and so far had good luck.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a little gasoline on a rag works for me. then of course wash it off.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

but i think you are out of luck with removing the scratches. you are either going to have to deal with it, or get a new one

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can treat the glass just like your paint. You can use a polishing machine with a paint correction polish and then finish it with a paint finishing polish and it should be able to take out fine scratches. I would try Adam's paint correction system which I used on my whole truck and it works awesome. Only problem is you have to use a machine it won't work by hand.

OP
OP
BKA

BKA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used very fine steel wool to clean windshields for years with no ill effects. It's the easiest way to get baked on bugs off. Can't believe a scotch brite pad would scratch your glass.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

I've used the scotch brite pads before on windshields, I was a little hesitant on the side windows because I was concerned about the tint but the tinting I had done was on the inside. Wondering if Ford puts a light shade of tint on the outside (can't imagine they would) because I don't think the pad should have scratch the window either.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

You can treat the glass just like your paint. You can use a polishing machine with a paint correction polish and then finish it with a paint finishing polish and it should be able to take out fine scratches. I would try Adam's paint correction system which I used on my whole truck and it works awesome. Only problem is you have to use a machine it won't work by hand.

Hmmm, I can't even handle a scotch brite pad and you want me to use a polisher. :ROFLJest:

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

I've used straight distilled vinegar for hard water spots and so far had good luck.

I can try this but I think the scratches are here to stay. Will probably just look into replacing the window. Not sure if I'll do it myself or get the dealer to. Not real fond of dealerships but I haven't had good luck when replacing side windows in the past. Window lift and track always seems to give me trouble.

Smokinjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good polisher at any glass company should be able to polish that out. Possibly without removing the glass depending on where the scratches are. You would be amazed at what they can do with glass. A lot cheaper than a new window too.

OP
OP
BKA

BKA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good polisher at any glass company should be able to polish that out. Possibly without removing the glass depending on where the scratches are. You would be amazed at what they can do with glass. A lot cheaper than a new window too.

Thanks, I might give this a shot. Still can't figure how a scotch brite pad could scratch glass, never had that happen before. It's like there is tint on the outside of the window or something. Oh well...