Salted Roads - How do you keep rust free?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TScozz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I just moved to Wisconsin from Texas and want to know how y'all keep your vehicle's from rusting?

I figure washing, buy how often? I am totally new to snow and salt, and want to keep my vehicles rust free.

What are YOUR best practices?

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 12951

Rust free in the midwest? Keep it in the garage during the winter, drive a beater on the salty roads.

If not, would spray the entire underside with something like AMSOIL HDMP

NE Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the city/state is throwing salt pre and post snow storm I would try and spray the undercarriage with hot water at least once a week if possible.

That seemed to do an okay job when I was living in Madison. Things will still rust but this method seemed to keep things under control. Similar to spraying a boat hull when you pull it out of the water.

OP
OP
TScozz

TScozz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you gonna give raptors a bad name getting stuck in snow.... newb.....
Oh, I won't get stuck. I'll be in either the company vehicle or the jeep most of the winter. Just want to keep my shit rust free, or as close to it as possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TScozz

TScozz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's not what I wanna hear! More so, that's what I was afraid of! Seems like there is an opportunity here then.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I live a little ways south of you in Illinois. Several winters so far and more mileage than most driving up and down the highway and in Chicago. I've got no rust. Wash it when you take it out. Spray the entire underneath with Amzoil HDMP before winter hits. Make sure your rocker panel holes are properly covered and clean. You'll be fine.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/rusting-raptor-rocker-panels-37262/?highlight=rocker+panel

Stock up on Adams Polishes and your truck will as good next spring as it does this summer!!!

OP
OP
TScozz

TScozz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's what I was looking for, and the second time Amsoil HDMP was mentioned. I will make sure I pick it up! THANK YOU!!!!

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
TScozz,
ZIEBART! The original and the best. Over the past 40 years I've had a dozen trucks/cars treated with Ziebart rust prevention. My brother's 1995 Dodge 2500 Heavy Duty 2500 V 10 6 speed burns oil, and the headliner has collapsed. Multiple dings and scrapes...and no rust. And he's NEVER had any of the follow up treatments!
Indeed NONE of my treated vehicles has ever had any rust.
Salt? Try several billion gallons of Atlantic ocean at your doorstep....
I will treat every vehicle I ever own with Ziebart.
Eddie

Ziebart | Home