Removing a Dealerships Chrome Logo from Tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Khilborn

Reaction score
So I just purchased a 2014 and the dealer put their own chrome logo below the ford logo on the back of the tailgate. What is the best way to remove without scratching the truck? What can I use the clean any sticky residue without ruining the clear coat?

SHAI HULUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am by no means an expert, but when I've done this before I've used a heat gun or hair dryer initially to get the bulk of the adhesive off with the chrome logo. Any remaining adhesive can be removed with either WD-40 or Goo Gone. With either one, spray it on lightly and let the WD-40 or Goo Gone emulsify the adhesive. You should then just be able to wipe off the adhesive with a microfiber cloth.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So I just purchased a 2014 and the dealer put their own chrome logo below the ford logo on the back of the tailgate. What is the best way to remove without scratching the truck? What can I use the clean any sticky residue without ruining the clear coat?

Use fishing line to saw through the double-face foam tape on the back of the emblem.

Use some blue painter's tape to protect the paint from scratches.

For this one, I used some small prices of plastic to make handles for the fishing line to keep it from strangling my fingers.

Once the badge is off, then use one of the adhesive removers mentioned above to remove the residue from the tape.

20160603_143712.jpg

20160603_144136.jpg

20160603_144223.jpg

20160603_144343.jpg

Jhillen50

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'd make them remove it. I'd be furious if I were you

D

Deleted member 12951

I'd make them remove it. I'd be furious if I were you

This! No dealer ever puts their emblems on my vehicle. Tell them they can have it on there for $100 a month for advertising fees or take it off. I've threatened to walk away from a deal over that shit. They are always promptly removed.