Removing Awful Water Spots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys, My 2010 Molten Orange is completely covered with spots all over the truck. I've washed it plenty of times and they just won't come over. Please tell me what I need to get and what is the best method to get my truck looking right! Appreciate it.

Gilligan

Reaction score
clay bar should take care of it. Then polish & wax or at least wax and you should be good

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ya if clay bar doesn't work then you might have to break the rubbing compound out. I had some awful water spots once and clay bar did well but didn't get them all

Pghraptor

Reaction score
Doubt clay bar will remove all of them. Best bet use a DA. Will make quick work of them and if you have never used one very user friendly. Now an orbital if not a pro don't try on this truck!

Edited: cause I can't spell.

Surf City Garage

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
These guys have pretty much covered the basics -

If they're minor enough (just surface deposited minerals) then clay may be able to knock them out. Beyond that you'll need to jump to polishes, ideally by machine - especially if they're more severe (aka water etching)

Heres a little more in depth info from an article I put together with some additional tips if you're interested:

Dylan@SCG said:
TECH TIP: Water Spots
The dreaded, much maligned, often misunderstood, but always annoying water spot. As car care junkies we've all experienced issues with water spots at one point or another and if we're being honest more often than you'd like. Next to maybe a scratch no single appearance issue gives serious shine seekers more heartache than water spots, but what are they? Why are some easier to remove than others? How can you prevent them? Keep reading for the answers to these and other questions regarding your arch nemesis - the water spot.

TECH TIP: Water Spots - Surf City Garage Library - Surf City Garage Forums

seapong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diluted CLR works well too. Calcium lime rust, Just keep it off the paint!

Sent from my fancy walkie talkie

Surf City Garage

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Doubt clay bar will remove all of them. Best bet use a DA. Will make quick work of them and if you have never used one very user friendly. Now an orbital if not a pro don't try on this truck!

Edited: cause I can't spell.

Orbital and DA are going to be essentially the same thing - do you mean rotary? Thats the tool that should be left to pros.

ScandinavianFlick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Acid detail...Vinegar in spray bottle and wipe off with a detailing towel. Wash and wax good afterwards as the acid will remove your old wax.

Surf City Garage

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Its all good.... I'm guilty of a few late night posts that don't even make sense to me the next morning LOL