Quick Tutorial- How to clean white letter tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

It took me a long time to figure out a good way to do this, so I am writing it up.

I have 37" BFG Project tires with white letters (white walls is incorrect I think) facing out. They collect tons of dirt and turn yellow within 1-2 weeks of daily driving or offroading. When you wash them, the dirt stays on. I tried scrubbing bubbles, pressure washers, scrubbing, soap, various tire cleaners and could not get it.

Tools:
93036.jpg

Tire scrub brush

Mothers-Foaming-Wheel-Tire-Cleaner-mdn.jpg

Mothers Foaming Wheel and Tire Cleaner (Bulk buy $29 for 1 gallon: Amazon.com: Mothers All Wheel & Tire Cleaner 128 oz.: Automotive)

product_7654_225.jpg

1800 PSI Electric Pressure Washer w/ 15 degree angle sprayer

endurance_gel.jpg

Meguiars High Gloss Endurance Tire Gel

1572_1a.jpg

Microfiber absorbent rag (will be thrown away)

Steps:
1. Pressure wash car/tires with water. Clean car with soap. Rinse car with pressure washer.

2. Spray tires with Mothers Foaming Wheel and Tire Cleaner from about 1 foot away. Spray about 20 sprays for tire on tire and wheel. I have Black method standards. Go around to all 4 tires, spraying on each. I use 1/2 a bottle or more on all 4 tires.

3. Come back to the first tire, scrub tire with the tire brush starting at the white letters back and forth along the tire sidewall. (Start with a clean brush on the white letters if possible). Move around to the rest of the tire and rim. Rinse tire and rim with pressure washer. Go to next tire, rinse brush and scrub/rinse tire/wheel. I step on the brush and hit it with the pressure washer to get the dirt off.

4. Optional- Repeat step #2 and #3 if the white letters are not bright white.

5. Rise truck/all tires/rims with pressure washer. Dry truck

6. When tire is dry, apply Meguiars High Gloss Endurance Tire Gel (about the size of 2 quarters) on a microfiber rag (throw away). Fold into one quarter size with gel in 1 of the quarters. Get a good grip and wipe gel onto white letters, working around the tire. Wipe gel onto rim, get in every part of the rim for a good look. This stuff attracts dirt, so it might not be the best finish to go offroading in right away.. Also, Project tires have a lot of Sidewall Flex, so you might not want to put a bunch of gel on the sidewall if you will be doing fast cornering, as the gel might cause the tire to lose traction, example picture this on the street around a corner with lower PSI:
P1040019.jpg

Here is one Dirty, one New, and the last 3 are Clean. I know they are not brand new, but the white letters on these are not designed for long term use, just a few races. I have managed to keep mine somewhat white for a year, which I have not heard of, so I thought I would share.

Attachments

• WP_20131025_001.jpg
    WP_20131025_001.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 114
  • WP_20121203_007.jpg
    WP_20121203_007.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 57
  • WP_20130105_003.jpg
    WP_20130105_003.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 141
  • WP_20130112_001.jpg
    WP_20130112_001.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 125
  • WP_20130418_001.jpg
    WP_20130418_001.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, I think the dirt colored lettering looks pretty good, complements the purpose of the tires

Punt1959

Reaction score
This is something I have been doing over 30 years now.
Rinse tire down
Apply your favorite white wall cleaner (Westleys BLECHE WITE used in video)
Scrub white letters down with 320-400 grit wet sandpaper
(Will still need some type of brush to clean black wall)
Rinse tire off. Quick, easy and bright white letters to enjoy.
Here is the video my son and I made a couple of years ago.
Cleaning White Wall Tires - YouTube