Paint Protected My new 2012 this weekend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

debordj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, here it is. Got my truck last week and thanks to everyone's help over at autogeek I got her bullet proof and shining.

Washed with Griots Car Wash.

Used IronX all over to ensure there wasn't any iron from the shipment. Never turned purple so that is good.

Clayed with Mother's Clay Kit. It is a good value kit. Didn't really need clayed but I wanted to make sure before I sealed it.

Then put 2 coats of Duragloss 105/601 4 to 1 combination. This is one of the best and durable paint sealants out there. It is a good value too - $9 a bottle.

Topped with Collinite Marque D’Elegance Carnauba Paste Wax #915.

It looks awesome...combination really makes the Tuxedo Black Metal Flake pop! Hope you guys like it. I'll let you know how it holds up in the San Diego desert and to desert pinstripes.

You can't really see, but I put 3 cans of Amsoil HD Metal Protectant under the truck.

129_zps41214f45.jpg
130_zpsf31b31ae.jpg
131_zps04a7bb7e.jpg
132_zpsd33995b6.jpg
133-Copy_zps63561291.jpg
134_zpsd54f121c.jpg
135_zpse5102f2b.jpg
136_zps7a79cf6d.jpg
137_zpse4438892.jpg
138_zpsc86523b6.jpg

SWATraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks amazing! How much did this all cost you? You do all yourself?

Everyone suggest doing iron x?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
debordj

debordj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks SWATraptor.

I think in all it probably cost me about $110 but I bought a bunch of microfiber towels. Most expensive thing was the $40 tub of Collinite. Duragloss is pretty cheap - about $15 for both bottles of 105 and the 601 bonding agent. IronX I got on special so it was less than $20. I used the IronX on my wifes car and it did turn Purple but not on the truck which is good. Mother's Clay kit was $18 at WallyWorld. Both Collinite and Duragloss are awesome but they have to go on Thin THIN and THIN! Not like the old carnuba stuff I used as a kid. For wife's car I also bought a bottle of Duragloss 501 that is actually an all-in-one cleaning wax that is designed for boats and RVs but many professional detailers use as an all-in-one. It turned her 2007 Ford Fusion into a show car. It is great stuff, but I didn't need the micro abrasives for the new truck so I just went straight to the 105 sealant...of course with 601 bonding agent mixed in at a 4:1 ratio...easier than putting 601 on the car and then putting 105 on top of it (learned that trick on the autogeek.net forum).

I'm honored by Boss Hoss's comments because he is the one that got me thinking about how to detail the truck when it arrived...his how to detail thread is awesome by the way. Although I do plan to take it off-road so I altered the products a little to get max durability. Stumbled onto autogeek.net and their awesome message board and they were very helpful in what products were best for my use. But no doubt, without Boss Hoss's motivation, I would be sitting here with a dirty new Raptor! Thanks!

SWATraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got a link to his thread on here?

Great stuff. I'm gonna do the same once I get my car. What do you do if there is iron on the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I gotta get out and clay mine then put a sealant and wax on, mine will be Wolfgang 3.0 sealant and Souveran wax