Paint finish durability and fender flare question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Rapor yet, but just curious. To the guys that off-road pretty hard, how are your paint finishes holding up? Do the fender flares catch a lot? Another question, when waxing, what do you use on the plastic fender flares? I know with my current truck, if I get any wax on the plastic parts of the bumper or the bed rail caps, it's a bitch to get off! Thanks!

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
I've been kinda hard on mine Pez. I've never waxed a vehicle in my life, and don't plan on it with this one!
After a bath, most of the scratches rub out with the towel - but not the plastic parts like fender flares or the hunk of plastic between the windows. Too dark now for pics, but if I think of it tomorrow I may take a few.

I've also managed to put some serious scrapes in my rims - I think it was a tough rocky river crossing I had to go at it a few times...

I'm told they refer to it as "Rocky Mountain Pin-striping" out here...

But my truck was bought for function - not to be the shiniest one on the block. Some may call me a meathead for scratching an expensive truck, but I thoroughly enjoy the thrills it provides in different terrain, and it still get looks on the street with or without the scratches.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
my truck was bought for function - not to be the shiniest one on the block. Some may call me a meathead for scratching an expensive truck, but I thoroughly enjoy the thrills it provides in different terrain, and it still get looks on the street with or without the scratches.

Yepper, My 2004 was just right in about 2009 to be just scratched up enough to play a little harder or care less and then I go and buy a $50 K replacment unit! HAhahaaaaaa. Damn. I gotta keep it shinny for atleast the first few months. I plan on a trip to my property in the next few weeks and willbe taking the narrow roads between the trees very EASY! HAhahaaaaaa. I know I know........
BDRAG

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The paint on the flares of my truck have been scratched a little, but the parts that have really taken a beating from desert brush are the plastic pieces all over the sideview mirrors and like JP7 said, the A-Pillars between the front and back windows. I don't know why, but the plastic in those two areas seem to take scrapes pretty easily when running a thin trail.