Opticoat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vince7870

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up my 13 screw last week. Started doing research on waxing slash protecting my paint or at least helping it last longer. After speaking to a buddy I opted on a full opticoating of entire truck. It looks super good and it's supposed to offer easier cleaning and less swirling/scratching than the basic factory clear coat....with no waxing.

Anyone else on here try it? I'm told it lasts up to 2 years with extreme water beading and contaminant deflection.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I fully intend to, but I have to drive mine 2.5 hours to get to a detailer who can do it for me. A guy I work with has it on his Audi, and it's very good.

I did go ahead and get Xpel applied to the front in the meantime.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know DubbsFaris did it as I was just reading up on it.

Reasonable price to have it done?

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just had Glasscoat done on mine this week. Truck looks better than it did on the day I picked it up a month ago. I do not know how well it will hold up, but water beads up really well now. They even treated the Bak-Flip since it was installed. I would have to look up exact cost. It was right at about $1000 for both exterior and interior.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was quoted $400 for opticoat, for the whole process, including the cleaning prep beforehand. He said it would take about 4 hours.

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It should last more than 2 years if the paint is prepped right before hand. It's like adding more clear coat to your paint, meaning any scratching or swirling is happening in the layer of Opti-Coat. If you notice diminished water beading/sheeting after a period of time, it does't necessarily mean that the layer of Opti-Coat is gone. A light claying or decontamination with something like Iron-X will bring the beading/sheeting back.

There's a lot of info regarding it over on Autogeek.net and their forum, autogeekonline.net.

These are probably the two most popular reviews on it.

Review and Extreme Testing: Opti-Coat 2.0 and CQuartz - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 - Permanent Paint Protection Made Easy - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealers in your area may offer it also. Not sure if that a good thing or bad, but they usually stand behind their work.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealers in your area may offer it also. Not sure if that a good thing or bad, but they usually stand behind their work.

I was way high on the glasscoat. I paid just over $1000 for that and extended warranty. That is what I get for typing w/o thinking and being in a hurry.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2