No garage, how to minimize the damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nsdq3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently moved and now I cannot garage the truck. Also, to add insult to injury, the truck sits in direct sunlight ALL DAY while at work. Doing my best to keep a coat of wax on the roof and hood at a minimum and have been applying UV protectant to the bed rails, handles, window trim, etc.

I know there are a ton of smart guys on here and basically just looking for suggestions, tips tricks, etc.

On a related but different topic, are there any physical options available? A carport would be a cheap, temporary solution, but it is not an option due to the neighborhood HOA. I don't want to mess with a car cover

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Jimbo

For the best protection, use a sealant rather than a wax. The sealant will last longer and hold up better to sun/heat/rain. Adam's Polishes Liquid Paint Sealant will last about 6 months, as long as you wash with a pH neutral soap. Don't use automatic car washes, they use more aggressive chemicals that will strip sealants and waxes, especially the touch-less washes.

For the trim, SVRT is an easy option and will protect against UV.

As far as using a car cover outside, you will do more harm than good. When its windy, it will whip around and scratch the paint and trim. Even putting it on and off will cause scratches, especially when the truck is not completely clean.

OP
OP
nsdq3

nsdq3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
products

Thanks @Jimbo

For the best protection, use a sealant rather than a wax. The sealant will last longer and hold up better to sun/heat/rain. Adam's Polishes Liquid Paint Sealant will last about 6 months, as long as you wash with a pH neutral soap. Don't use automatic car washes, they use more aggressive chemicals that will strip sealants and waxes, especially the touch-less washes.

For the trim, SVRT is an easy option and will protect against UV.

As far as using a car cover outside, you will do more harm than good. When its windy, it will whip around and scratch the paint and trim. Even putting it on and off will cause scratches, especially when the truck is not completely clean.

Thanks Wolf. What is your opinion on 303 aerospace protectant for UV protection on trim pieces. I was turned on to it when I was in the corvette world. Also, they turned me on to a window trim protectant called "gummi pfledge" (german name), seems to do a good job?

Regarding the paint sealant, and I apologize up front for being a car care newb, what is the best prep prior to the application of the sealant.

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Please disregard the sealant question. Clicked the link and now see the "how to" video. Sorry

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With wax already on the truck, I would do a strip wash using 3oz of Car Wash Shampoo and 3oz of All Purpose Cleaner, mixed with water in a 5gal bucket. This will remove the wax so the sealant can get a good bond to the bare paint.

I have 303 and use it on my kayaks and paddleboard. It would not be my first choice for trim on the truck as it leaves a greasy film. SVRT is water-based, so it does not feel greasy.

Never heard of "gummi pfeldge" though. But as a general rule, I don't use (or eat) anything I can't pronounce lol.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gummi Pfeldge is a product that BMW used to sell to use on convertible tops. it would seal the fabric and threads. works well and would have to be reapplied often. not so sure about trim work.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good info here so far! Switching over to a sealant would definitely be a great idea. The overall detergent and heat resistance being higher with a sealant is going to give you longer lasting protection.

I'm personally treating my daily drivers with Liquid Paint Sealant then topping that with H2O Guard & Gloss every 3rd - 4th wash as a booster/topcoat sealant for added protection.

We actually just covered this subject in the weekly video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiiiTSxxNPk

ReyLorenzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the sealant ok to put on the graphics and wraps? My truck is partially wrapped (hood, roof, and tailgate). Just wondering if that will be ok to use.

Aaron313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info here so far! Switching over to a sealant would definitely be a great idea. The overall detergent and heat resistance being higher with a sealant is going to give you longer lasting protection.

I'm personally treating my daily drivers with Liquid Paint Sealant then topping that with H2O Guard & Gloss every 3rd - 4th wash as a booster/topcoat sealant for added protection.

We actually just covered this subject in the weekly video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiiiTSxxNPk

Hey that's my car in the video lol e1e238ae31c96deb4063d3f75eba22bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk