Need advice on engine cleaning.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can I pressure wash it? I don't want show quality...a lot know me on here and if you do you probably know my truck rarely get washed. I haven't touched the engine compartment in two years as far as cleaning it. So, I have a lot of TX, CO, MS, NE, KS, NM, UT and Baja crap built up.

Any advice? I just want to get the dirt/red/crap off.

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
Diesel to clean it and normal oil to make it shine.
Dont preasure wash it!!!!!!!!!! Just use a regular hose.
Ive been cleaning engines with a mix of degreaser water and diesel since my 98 12v ****** and always looked nice

Marcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have cleaned engine bay on previous cars.....usually protected the electronics, think fuse box etc, by wrapping them in a plastic bay, then using a degreaser, scrub a little and wash it off. When done I made sure to get the engine nice and hot to make sure everything was dry before parking it for the night.

Experts might chime in later....

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
some won't agree with this, but...
Sometimes after a run, I'll hit the quarter car wash and wash the engine bay.

Leave the engine running and don't hit the back of the alternator. Spray the condenser and radiator to remove dust and dirt.
Note, you are taking a bit of a risk with the electronics, but for the most part, everything is some what water resistant.
Let the engine run to dry things off.

Yukon Joe
GLRE Support Raptor
WWW.RUNRAPTORRUN.COM

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With the engine cold----spray with low pressure water to just get off the loose dirt, then spray down the engine with simple green. Let sit for 5 minutes or so then rinse off, repeat except this time lightly agitate the tough areas---rinse and it will be clean.

Make sure to clean the heat exchangers while you are at it..