IWE failed today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was headed downhill and used low range to slow descent and the dreaded clunking shudder began. Later it started again in soft sand,not much load .... To make matters worse the shutter continued after switching 4x4 off(did not disengage even though the dash light indicated otherwise). Shut the Raptor off for 1hr then proceeded to slow crawl out in 4 wheel drive this time without issue.

My advice is do not drive in low range to slow downhill descent because all the weight of the truck is shifted to the front wheels (the weakest link).
Has anyone used a dealer for warranty work on the IWE in San Diego ?

how do i move this to general forum?

Last edited:

upscrazy8

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dont know any in you neck of the woods. But I am questioning my local dealer. Had both replaced in Feb this year and now its back getting both replaced again. Along with a ps pump and 2 new front shocks. And I am easy on my ride.

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dont know any in you neck of the woods. But I am questioning my local dealer. Had both replaced in Feb this year and now its back getting both replaced again. Along with a ps pump and 2 new front shocks. And I am easy on my ride.

Easy? Not sure I would stand to close to you. I don't like lightning.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...Has anyone used a dealer for warranty work on the IWE in San Diego ?...

Let me know if you need help finding a dealer in your area, wanderfalk. I'll be happy to provide you with a list of options; just send me a PM with your ZIP code and I'll do the rest.

... Had both replaced in Feb this year and now its back getting both replaced again. Along with a ps pump and 2 new front shocks. And I am easy on my ride.

What's your truck's model year and mileage, upscrazy8? I'll see what I can do to help.

Crystal

Kapolani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep finding these threads popping up and it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy feeling.

I have about 7600 miles on my 2014.

I go mudding once and a while, but nothing crazy.

Is this something that is bound to happen? Is it a certain model/time period?

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can help yourself by never shifting on the fly. Always stop to shift into and out of 4wd.

Shifting on the fly is a marketing scheme to sell convenience.

I keep finding these threads popping up and it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy feeling.

I have about 7600 miles on my 2014.

I go mudding once and a while, but nothing crazy.

Is this something that is bound to happen? Is it a certain model/time period?

Last edited:

Kapolani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can help yourself by never shifting on the fly. Always stop to shift into and out of 4wd.

Shifting on the fly is a marketing scheme to sell convenience.

I come to a complete stop every time I get into 4wd. I come to a complete stop when I disengage as well.

Good to know I'm doing it right.

Still in love with this truck. Even looking forward to winter (a little) because this thing loves the snow + mud.

Java

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea unfortunately the iwe gear is a weak link. And having the torsen diff just magnifies the problem. I am working on a aftermarket solution.
If you can find a good solution you are going to sell a ton of them