Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - General Information > Ford Raptor Cleaning and Detailing Forum
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Cleaning and Detailing Forum

Interior and Exterior trim

This is a discussion on Interior and Exterior trim within the Ford Raptor Cleaning and Detailing Forum forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - General Information category!
Wanted to poll you guys and see if y'all had the same issues I did. Anyone else find the silver ...

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes

Sponsored By: Adam's Polishes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Interior and Exterior trim
Wanted to poll you guys and see if y'all had the same issues I did.

Anyone else find the silver interior trim scratches if you so much as breathe on it? Thankfully I've been careful but it is a bit frustrating feeling like I have to baby my interior, when it is a freaking truck. Has any one else noticed this?

Secondly, I've got wax or some sort of white stuff on my exterior trim that just won't come out. I've got Mckee 37 on order as my last resort, but I've tried just about everything to get rid of the stuff. I bought Adams tire and rubber cleaner because it was supposed to be good for this but it didn't make a dent after scrubbing with a toothbrush for a few hours. So far using my fingernail is about the only thing that has worked. Should I use spray wax if McKee doesn't work? Meguiars ultimate black masks it pretty well but I'd prefer it gone.

Thanks in advance!

rtmozingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

Every time I wax my truck, at first, I am immediately impressed with my work, almost spill my beer patting myself on the back.

The next day, when I find all the plastic-trim I rubbed with wax, I almost spill my coffee kicking myself in the posterior.

Itís to the point Iíd buy something to address it now. Most of the time I donít care, but I am becoming less enamored with it.

Iíve not scuffed the interior pieces beyond the floor mats, despite my wifeís best efforts to ruing the door sill, it seems to be pretty resilient.
smurfslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm Batman

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Wax residue on black plastic trim is hard to remove. First try some IPA or CarPro Eraser. This will usually break down the wax so you can remove it. If that doesn't do it, a good steamer should work. Last option is Solution Finish.

2017 Ruby Red SCREW 802A-Ordered 8/3, Built 10/14, Released from Factory 12/12, Accepted by Shipping Company 12/27, Delivered 1/19
crash457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Originally Posted by crash457 View Post
Wax residue on black plastic trim is hard to remove. First try some IPA or CarPro Eraser. This will usually break down the wax so you can remove it. If that doesn't do it, a good steamer should work. Last option is Solution Finish.
You seriously want me to use a perfectly good India Pale Ale on Lucilleís plastic trim? Good G*d man, what are you, inhuman?

Whatís more, I dropped several spots of Adams buttery wax on to the truck steps. I need to get this removed more than anything because birds see this and think to themselves Ďbombs awayí.

seriously tho, thanks for the suggestions. (well, not so much the IPA suggestion, Iím drinking that, thank you very much ) :-)
Old 06-09-2018, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I might wrap or plasti dip the grey interior stuff. Mine all feels rough as hell

Old 06-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by smurfslayer View Post
Iíve not scuffed the interior pieces beyond the floor mats, despite my wifeís best efforts to ruing the door sill, it seems to be pretty resilient.
Hah, mine is showing a little wear. My wife shows no regard for that area. Least she's careful with my paint...no respect for feet out of seat tho
rtmozingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Originally Posted by rtmozingo View Post
Hah, mine is showing a little wear. My wife shows no regard for that area. Least she's careful with my paint...no respect for feet out of seat tho
IKR! I mean, she was stoked to get the truck, then proceeded to use the passenger seat as a slide to get out. I tried treating her car the same way but she could not care less about wheeled transportation.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Originally Posted by smurfslayer View Post
Every time I wax my truck, at first, I am immediately impressed with my work, almost spill my beer patting myself on the back.

The next day, when I find all the plastic-trim I rubbed with wax, I almost spill my coffee kicking myself in the posterior.

It’s to the point I’d buy something to address it now. Most of the time I don’t care, but I am becoming less enamored with it.

I’ve not scuffed the interior pieces beyond the floor mats, despite my wife’s best efforts to ruing the door sill, it seems to be pretty resilient.

Use a Mr. Clean magic eraser on the black exterior trim, That stuff works like a charm for the wax buildup and other minor stains. when done clean the plastic with detail spray.

Last edited by ron.bumpus; 08-08-2018 at 03:22 PM.
ron.bumpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Originally Posted by ron.bumpus View Post
Use a Mr. Clean magic eraser on the black exterior trim, That stuff works like a charm for the wax buildup and other minor stains. when done clean the plastic with detail spray.
Thanks for the tip !
Old 08-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Might be a touch late, but for future detailings, I generally try to use products that can go on trim too. Its usually all around easier to do, plus it protects the trim too. If not that, then I'll use ceramic trim coating on trim, and then do the paint, keeps product from sticking to the plastic.
If you tried Adams rubber cleaner with a tooth brush and that didn't work, I'm not sure what would. Maybe steam?
AdamsPolishes likes this.

Bjoeaull is offline   Reply With Quote