Hardened mud on inside of rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdtuono

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was running around in Temecula over weekend during the heavy rains and found some muddy roads, oh yes it was fun but on my way back home doing about 90 and I noticed everything was bumpy, pull over and notice that all the inside of my rims had / have baked on clay , mud dirt, So yes I imagine they are throwing my balance off. So tried soaking it with hose and it is not coming off. I know probably need to put on jacks and soak with sprinkler or pull wheels and scrub. But really looking for the easier button if there is one. Thank you all.

RobDietz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was running around in Temecula over weekend during the heavy rains and found some muddy roads, oh yes it was fun but on my way back home doing about 90 and I noticed everything was bumpy, pull over and notice that all the inside of my rims had / have baked on clay , mud dirt, So yes I imagine they are throwing my balance off. So tried soaking it with hose and it is not coming off. I know probably need to put on jacks and soak with sprinkler or pull wheels and scrub. But really looking for the easier button if there is one. Thank you all.

Pressure washer

D

Deleted member 12951

Yep, take all wheels off to really get things clean. Plus you will need to clean the brakes really good too. Sucks.

nyzuge2y.jpg

vasujaza.jpg

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yep, high pressure water is your friend.

Or if you're a man of great patience, lots of soaking and scrubbing in the driveway.

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, one time cleaning mud off a brand new vehicle is usually enough for most people to learn their lesson. I'm a little slower than most. I've had a jeep in limp mode for 50 miles, burned out a clutch that was full of mud, driveshaft wobble, brake failure, wheels packed full of mud, ac condenser packed full, and radiator packed full of mud, with the associated problems that go along with each. I avoid mud and stick to desert trails now.

OP
OP
sdtuono

sdtuono

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the advise. Yes im with you mike ill stay away from the mud. Last time i did it truck had 200 miles on it and it just hosed off. Now at 18000 everything sticks to it. Hurry up desert season.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just finished doing the exact same thing.

I had a nice even 1/2" layer of MT mud inside my back rims. While I was under there, I spent quite a bit of time washing mud out from around the tranny and every cross support. Really sticky crap. It looked like a baked on ceramic coating on the exhaust pipes.

While down there I also noticed I had what has to be the worlds largest one piece wheel wt. That puppy must be 12" long!!