Hard water spots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddycreswell

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I live in the country and have the hardest water, no matter what I do when I washer my truck at home I have water spots that I have to go back over with a quick detailer. Is there any shampoo out there that stops water spots? Any ideas how to combat them? Thanks

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It's more tedious but the only solution other than a water purifier that I found was wash about a quarter of the truck and dry it then do another quarter. You'll still have some spots to touch up but it won't be as bad. Don't let those water drops sit. I had to get the buffer out when the truck was only a week old because they were so bad.

Banned
Reaction score
I got the same problem. I stopped washing the whole truck at once. Spray down one panel at a time and focus in it. Then move onto the next.

Takes a bit longer. But it's worth it.
As for the windshield goes, I had some kinda spray that I can't recall the name of. But it worked wonders for water spots.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
towels

After hand washing my truck I use large 100% cotton beach towels to dry the truck so there isn't any standing water to leave spots. I hand wax way more often than I really need to so water beads making drying easy.

Steve-O

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always use meguiars quik detailer. Rather I have water spots or not, I still do it to hit any spots I might have missed when washing it. Any water spots that are there are gone instantly.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are companies that make small portable water softeners for washing cars. The use a cartridge of softener resin that has to be recharged somehow. I think they are like $560 on Amazon so not cheap.

Here is the system I was thinking of
http://www.crspotless.com/spotless-water-facts

Griots Garage has an inline cartridge that looks like it's filled with color shifting softener resin. It looks like the cartridge is disposable and $124 each to that's likely very expensive too.

Last edited:

Jobsitefish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of those things that can be a pain in the butt in some areas. Some ideas that have worked for me in Florida and now in Texas include:

1) wash in covered area if possible

2) Maintain a good quality coat of wax on the truck. This helps a lot.

3) do not let the water dry on the surface by itself. In hot places this means hosing the entire truck down after you wash every panel. The wash will take a long time but it works.

4) Have multiple clean drying microfiber towels ready to go and dry immediately after wash is complete. It is a race against the heat sometimes so move fast! lol . Adams drying towels are outstanding.