Are formers worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

As some of you know I'm new, my name is Dave and I'm a raptor addict.

Believe it or not winter is coming to an end here in Canada and I'm about ready to give the ol girl her first real wash, not just a tease from an automated car wash.

I'm looking in to a foamer... This is my first truck I've gotten "dirty" and find myself leaving the toys home and using the hauler to play, this beIng said I want to keep the black mamba as shiny and clean as possible for years to come after play time, winter or rain.

Are they worth the money? I've never used one but heard wonders. How many of you use them?

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
They are worth it. I had a cheap one and it worked amazing. Only lasted a year so I'd invest in a nicer one for sure. But they make washing a car much, much easier.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what's the wash method with a foamer? Do you still have a soap bucket or just a rinse bucket?

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So what's the wash method with a foamer? Do you still have a soap bucket or just a rinse bucket?
Depends on what you want to do or what works for you.

1. Foam, rinse, proceed with two bucket wash.

2. Foam, rinse, foam, proceed with two bucket wash.

3. Foam, rinse, foam, use the foam as your soap, use 1 bucket as a rinse bucket for the mitt and then apply foam to the mitt.

4. Foam, rinse, apply foam directly to the panel as your wash it, rinse bucket for the mitt and then apply foam to the mitt.

There's a lot of different ways to go about using them. Rinse step isn't always necessary in some of them, depends on what you're working with.

Basically foaming first loosens dirt and grime allowing it to easily rinse away compared to just using a water rinse first, as well as lubricating the paint right away. It makes washing easier as most of the heavy dirt and build up is already loosened or removed. The idea is to minimize the amount of "rubbing" or "scrubbing" with your wash mitt.

I'll probably start using the technique in this video this summer. It starts around the 7:40 mark.

Audi R8 BLACKBIRD: Basic Car Wash Techniques - DRIVE CLEAN - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Sqi1lAj1A

Last edited:
OP
OP
CP RAPTOR

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I need one, seems like cheap insurance in the long run. I'm getting a paint correction done soon and want to keep the "perfect"paint as long as possible. Why did I get black...

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use the MTM hydro foam lance. I hook it up to my pressure washer with some Adams exterior shampoo. Its awesome. Check it out on YouTube. I'll post some pics while I use it next time

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
CP RAPTOR

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm sold on a foamer, what brands are you guys using? Nickpic I would love to see some pics of your setup being used.

Does it work for a quick clean if you foam and then pressure wash it as a quick like a touch less wash? Thinking it could give a fast spritz if it was going to rain in a couple days. It always seems to rain in a couple days around here.