Fixed the Factory Orange Peel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Come on, you are taking pictures of a mirror.
Looks really good, wow.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good. What process did you use? Wet sand or Denim pad? Did you use a paint thickness gauge?

OP
OP
A

AndrewLuz

Reaction score
Looks good. What process did you use? Wet sand or Denim pad? Did you use a paint thickness gauge?

I used the CarPro denim pads with a Flex 3401 buffer. I will be using the Flex PE-14 rotary buffer when my 5" plate arrives because it will cut faster then a da. I have a paint thickness gauge to make sure I am not taking too much off. Really what I am doing is slicing off the high points without taking any real amount of clearcoat thickness off. Only about 8-12 microns or 1/2 of a thousandth.

Thanks guys, the truck still has orange peel but it is drastically reduced from the original paint job. Here's another picture. IMG_9026.jpg

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the CarPro denim pads with a Flex 3401 buffer. I will be using the Flex PE-14 rotary buffer when my 5" plate arrives because it will cut faster then a da. I have a paint thickness gauge to make sure I am not taking too much off. Really what I am doing is slicing off the high points without taking any real amount of clearcoat thickness off. Only about 8-12 microns or 1/2 of a thousandth.

Thanks guys, the truck still has orange peel but it is drastically reduced from the original paint job. Here's another picture. View attachment 81106

I have considered trying the CarPro Denim pads, but without paint thickness gauge, its just too risky. What compound did you use?

OP
OP
A

AndrewLuz

Reaction score
I am using the Rupes Coarse polish. It works great. The denim pads remove the clear at a very slow and consistent rate. You could probably do it without the gauge. Every time I measure the clear is only a micron or two thinner than before. I wasn't willing to risk that though and I detail for a living.

BRAAAPTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow! That looks awesome! I know what you mean about the orange peel. I noticed my 2011 Black screw had peel.