First Detail - Adamized the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TheWolf

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WHEEL AND TIRE CLEANING AND PROTECTION

I needed to rotate the tires so I decided it would be a good time to give them a good cleaning and sealing. I sprayed on a cocktail of All Purpose Cleaner and Dawn Soap with the Kwazar Venus Pro Foaming Compression Sprayer, figuring the Dawn Soap would add some lather and give the All Purpose Cleaner more time to break down multiple layers of Quick Sealant and Tire Shine. Having the wheels laying flat made scrubbing much easier. I used the Cyclo with the carpet brush attachments. Note that this Cyclo is dedicated to brushes for tires, carpets, and other dirty tasks. I do not use this machine for polishing to avoid any chances of getting dirt and grime onto the paint or polishing pads. The brushes kicks up quite a bit of spray and splatter and the machine ends up pretty dirty.

After a good rinse with the pressure washer, I dried them with the Metro Blaster Sidekick and a Microfiber Waterless Wash Towel. Once completely dry, I put layer of Liquid Paint Sealant on the insides and backs of the wheels and barrels, wiping the residue with an Edgeless Utility Towel. After letting the Liquid Paint Sealant cure for an hour or so, I added a layer of Quick Sealant to the backs and then two layers to the fronts. After remounting the wheels, I sprayed on some Tire Shine and then evened it out with a Hex Grip Tire Applicator.

Attachments

• 20141011_130502.jpg
    20141011_130502.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20141011_130751.jpg
    20141011_130751.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20141011_131141.jpg
    20141011_131141.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 20141012_112046.jpg
    20141012_112046.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20140726_091330.jpg
    20140726_091330.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Goofball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good grief Wolf! you would probably pass out if you saw how I wash my truck then. I avoid the automatic washers... I know that much. But am I destroying my paint from doing the old fashioned pressure wash and a bucket of soap? I have never waxed it either and my truck is 1.5 years old. I don't have time or the experience to do it myself. Should I just bite the bullet and get it professionally waxed and sealed for good measure?

OP
OP
TheWolf

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good grief Wolf! you would probably pass out if you saw how I wash my truck then. I avoid the automatic washers... I know that much. But am I destroying my paint from doing the old fashioned pressure wash and a bucket of soap? I have never waxed it either and my truck is 1.5 years old. I don't have time or the experience to do it myself. Should I just bite the bullet and get it professionally waxed and sealed for good measure?

I would guess you wash your Raptor the same way I used to wash my old Ram truck. A Home Depot bucket with Napa car wash soap, an old wash mitt and then dried with some worn out cotton bath towels. I never even washed that often as the truck never really looked that good. It wasn't until I found FRF and saw some of the photos of guys using Adam's products that I decided to use good products and learn some better methods for washing this Raptor.

For washing, a pressure washer is good but I would recommend getting some proper washing equipment (grit guard buckets, a quality shampoo, wash pads that won't scratch and some microfiber drying towels). Just washing right and not causing swirls and scratches with the wrong stuff will make a big difference in how your truck looks now and a few years from now. The things to avoid are harsh soaps (like auto parts store stuff or dish washing soap), cheap wash pads or those Carrand brushes you see at Costco, and cotton towels.

Here is a good kit: 2 Bucket Wash Kit | Auto Detail | Car Detailing Products

Then watch this video for some proper technique: Adam's Instructional Videos | Detailing Tips

As far as taking your Raptor in to get waxed, just make sure you know what you are getting. Most of these places doing a "wash and wax" for $150 aren't really using any wax at all, they just use some detail spray to add a little shine and there is no protection at all, or they might be using a spray-on, rinse-off sealant that will only last a few washes.

For protection, a paint sealant will last longer than a carnauba paste wax, it just doesn't have as much shine.

There are a lot of guys on the Adam's Polishes forum that have full time detailing businesses or just do it on the side or as a hobby. You could check out that forum to see if anyone is in your area or just PM me where you are at and I will see if any Adam's users are near you and would be interested in helping you out. You could also PM nick@adams as he knows who is good and where they are at.

Last edited:

Goofball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks wolf! I watched every single video. I think I can handle it actually. Just need to dedicate a whole day and get after it. Thanks again/

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
I hate washing my vehicles. Good thing I have a buddy who is just like you, has everything under the sun and loves detailing. I just provide the vehicle and plug-in some tunes, and he's off to the races - while I enjoy a nice cold beverage.

OP
OP
TheWolf

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate washing my vehicles. Good thing I have a buddy who is just like you, has everything under the sun and loves detailing. I just provide the vehicle and plug-in some tunes, and he's off to the races - while I enjoy a nice cold beverage.

Sounds like you have a good buddy! What product line is he using?

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a good buddy! What product line is he using?

Not too sure. He has an assortment of things that he'll use depending on color, finish, and some other things he rattles off. My product line is usually a Rebel Anti-Hero 6-pack.

I am going to give him this information, as he should buy it to maintain my cars, I mean, his cars.

Goofball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wolf... Quick update... Googled up some places and near me is these people.

Delivery Detail | Detailing Services | Adams Products

Im scheduled or Thursday morning for them to do the "heavy lifting" and then I can maintain it with them several times a year. Im stoked. They are literally around the corner from me. I quizzed Ryan about some knowledge I learned from the adams videos and he was right on! So I wll give her a go. I will post some before and afters. They need it all day which is cool.

Watch the videos seems like they got their shizzle together. Again I will take some nice before and afters with my wife camera.

Last edited: