First Detail - Adamized the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TheWolf

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GAUGE CLUSTER POLISHING

Not really sure why I waited so long to fix the scratches on the gauge cluster cover. Most of them were there when the truck was new, and a few were added when I made the mistake of vacuuming the sand off with a less-than-soft brush attachment.

01.jpg

Tools for the task: Paint Finishing Polish, Brilliant Glaze, Single Soft Towels, blue painter’s tape.

02.jpg

Started by taping off the adjacent plastic, to keep the polish from getting on it. Taping was easy since you can slide the tape behind the edge of the plastic, then wrap it around the front.

03.jpg

Put a small amount of Paint Finishing Polish on the Single Soft Towel.

04.jpg

Then polished by hand with just the portion of the towel that has polish on it. I wrapped the rest of the towel around my hand to keep it from catching on the tape.

05.jpg

After polishing for about 15 minutes, I wiped the residue off with a clean portion of the towel, then checked with a strong light to make sure all the major scratches were gone.

06.jpg

I did see some minor scratches on the back of the cluster cover, but they are not that noticeable.

Next up was some Brilliant Glaze applied with a clean Single Soft Towel. The Brilliant Glaze contains fillers, so it will help hide any scratches that did not come out with the hand polishing.

07.jpg

08.jpg

After the Brilliant Glaze hazed up, wiped the residue with a clean portion of the towel.

A significant improvement!

09.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheWolf

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking this just few days a go when i saw my scratches again. I have lots of scratches on lower part of cluster and those wore there when i got the truck. I just wasn't sure that can i polish them off but looks like it is possible, so thank you! One more thing to my never ending to do list.

If the scratches are big, more than just fine scratches like my first pic shows, then you might have to do a two-step polish by starting with the Paint Correcting Polish first, then the Paint Finishing Polish second.