Engine bay CAKED with mud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ANDR3W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got stuck in some deep mud yesterday. After 3 hours and several broken tow straps 6 side by sides yanked her out. (But that's a whole other story..)

Any worries with just taking a hose to it other than intake area?

EDIT: FRF decided pics would look better upside down..

Attachments

• IMG_3397.jpg
    IMG_3397.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_3398.jpg
    IMG_3398.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_3399.jpg
    IMG_3399.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3400.jpg
    IMG_3400.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 126

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Look at your air filter!! Get everything nice and wet gently, looks like some of the mud has dried hard, rinse gently :)

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always bag the alternator and don't spray wiring fittings directly. If you own a powerwasher put on a wide fan tip take your time and diluted simple green works well to help speed things along. To make it look good you will more than likely have to use a brush of some sort. Long soft/medium bristles work best for me.

Surf City Garage

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like it was fun getting it dirty at least! LOL

Modern factory engine bays are very water tight, so assuming you haven't cut into the factory harness anywhere to add lights or stereo equipment you can introduce water without any major concerns.

Keep the spray pattern fairly broad, don't use a heavy 'jet' stream setting and don't try to force/flood water into any one specific spot.

The only things you really need to cover when cleaning an engine bay are open element filters (if there are any) and you can cover the alternator. If you don't have brushes to reach into all the various tight spots I'd recommend these:

SCG Pro Detailing Woolies

ww2.jpg

the 3 different sizes are really handy, especially for a project like this.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Great answer right there ^^^

I have an open air filter that I take out and stuff the intake tube with a plastic bag, cover the alternator and cover the battery both with plastic bags. I use simple green, let it sit for about 5-10 minutes then use a wide fan tip on my pressure washer. Once it is degreased and clean, I detail it with all purpose detailer and restore any faded black plastic with trim restorer. Finish by blasting the air filter with an air compressor.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Surf City Garage

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Great answer right there ^^^

I have an open air filter that I take out and stuff the intake tube with a plastic bag, cover the alternator and cover the battery both with plastic bags. I use simple green, let it sit for about 5-10 minutes then use a wide fan tip on my pressure washer. Once it is degreased and clean, I detail it with all purpose detailer and restore any faded black plastic with trim restorer. Finish by blasting the air filter with an air compressor.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Another thing you can do for open element filters that works really well - aluminum foil. Just take a large sheet, form it around the filter, and you're good to go with the water.

Obviously if you're gonna clean it (like you mentioned you do) no point in leaving it in there, but if it doesn't need to be cleaned you can cover it that way and the foil keeps water off of it.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I need to clean my engine. It's the only part of the truck that has any evidence that the truck has left the pavement.