economical version of opti coat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

dmercer3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say that the middle ground is to detail the truck yourself, and use an acrylic sealant like our Paint Sealant. This product will provide better protection that a traditional wax, up to 6-months on the sealant vs 1-3 months for carnauba paste wax.

If you don't have prior experience detailing, then I would hold off on applying a ceramic paint coating yourself, since it does require some technique, and it you make a mistake, it can cost more to fix it then the cost of a professional install, since the coating has to be machine polished off to start over.

Check out this thread for some information on our products, along with instructions and write-ups on how to take the best care of your new Raptor:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f209/adams-polishes-detailing-guide-45736/#post940136

Also, for those considering ceramic paint coatings, either applied professionally or by yourself, I would recommend machine polishing the paint prior to the coating. Most reputable shops will include a machine polish as part of the install, but some do not.

While I have seen comments over the years that a new vehicle should not need to be polished, there are always going to be imperfections in the paint from assembly or transport, or from the dealer's prep. The last thing you want to do is pay big money for a coating, or spend all the time and money to do it yourself, to then find that there are swirls or scratches in the paint that you did not notice before, because once the coating is on, those are there to stay until the coating wears off, or is polished off.

In addition, even if a thorough inspection does not reveal any swirls or scratches, polishing the clear coat will remove imperfections that you cannot see with your eye, but do have a big effect on optical clarity and gloss on the paint. Since coatings typically do not have the gloss and depth that you can get with high-quality waxes and sealants, having that extra pop from the machine polish can make the coated paint look its best.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Dan

You are welcome!

And just to add a little comment if I could, I know that there are other quality detailing products available, and there are more budget-level products that do not work as well *cough* *walmart* *cough*, but the reason that I originally started using Adam's Polishes back when I got my 2014 Raptor (and when someone else was running this account on FRF) was that Adam's Polishes has an amazing level of customer service, and wants their customers to get the best results with their products. A big part of that is having shine-freaks like myself spend time on various auto-enthusiast forums helping answer questions. Currently, we have a team of people who manage 20 different auto forums, along with the Adam's Forum. This puts the service right at the forums where our customers like to spend their time, as opposed to just having an in-house forum that is only about detailing.

Anyway, you can check out his thread for a little info on how I came to use these products:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f209/hello-my-name-dan-i-love-shiny-raptors-44376/#post906381

-Dan

Thanks the kind of effort I like to see in a company, and it works... its looking like you just gained another customer!

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coatings have a bit of a learning curve and proper prep is key but they are not that big of a deal once you get the technique down. I use personally/apply professionally CQuartz from Car Pro and I have no problem walking forum members through the steps and giving out as many tips and tricks as I can do guys can do these themselves.

Perauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offense to Wax guys but once you go with a coating you will never go back to normal wax. The Gtechniq installation is as easy as wax on wax off !! Go to u tube and watch a few videos of the EXO installation.

Ckhris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That exo does look easy, i do believe I will try this. Ive watched videos on the others and didnt feel comfortable doing. This looks like something I can do. Thanks

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offense to Wax guys but once you go with a coating you will never go back to normal wax. The Gtechniq installation is as easy as wax on wax off !! Go to u tube and watch a few videos of the EXO installation.

I appreciate the long-term coatings but are the short-term coatings like EXO a little like glorified wax? Their website lists 12mo, 18mo for EXO.

I get at least 6mo out of a wax job using a $10.00 gel wax, literally wipe on wipe off with no buffing. Honestly I've let stuff like my wife's car go for well over a year and the water still beads nicely.

For the permanent stuff I can definitely see the appeal, but if I'm re-applying every year and half for more money, doesn't seem like that big of an advantage. Also I know I can take it off with some dawn if I want to.

Perauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the long-term coatings but are the short-term coatings like EXO a little like glorified wax? Their website lists 12mo, 18mo for EXO.

I get at least 6mo out of a wax job using a $10.00 gel wax, literally wipe on wipe off with no buffing. Honestly I've let stuff like my wife's car go for well over a year and the water still beads nicely.

For the permanent stuff I can definitely see the appeal, but if I'm re-applying every year and half for more money, doesn't seem like that big of an advantage. Also I know I can take it off with some dawn if I want to.

The coating last 24/36 months if you do 2-3 coats and holds up to weekly washings too, I have never had any wax last more than a few months but I do use wax on older single stage paints . What ever you like and work for you thats all that is important .

Tg74

Reaction score
Had my BMW 135 done in EXO topped with C1. Lasted over 2 years sitting outside every day, before I traded it in. I'm talking MA shit weather, 2 winters worth. Where I parked at work I would occasionally have salt spray frozen completely over the car. Held up great.

OP
OP
D

dmercer3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so some of you may know my raptor was totalled in transit to the dealer so I am dealing with that... the dealer offered me this at 'cost' of $600.
Protective Coatings
Its Auto Armor by ECP total car protection

Its the Ultimate exterior and interior services. Compared to retail of around $900, is this worth considering compared to ceramic coatings like opticoat (priced at around $1k here).

Any opinion is welcomed!

-dan

gentz002

Banned
Reaction score
I was looking at one of the gtechnig of cquartz kits as well.. Do you guys think 30ml is enough to cover the truck??? Ive never done this before and it just doesnt sound like a lot of material to cover the entire thing.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
so some of you may know my raptor was totalled in transit to the dealer so I am dealing with that... the dealer offered me this at 'cost' of $600.
Protective Coatings
Its Auto Armor by ECP total car protection

Its the Ultimate exterior and interior services. Compared to retail of around $900, is this worth considering compared to ceramic coatings like opticoat (priced at around $1k here).

Any opinion is welcomed!

-dan

Rip. Off.

It is not even anywhere near the league of a ceramic coating, and not even as good as a paint sealant.

That is even close to the normal cost for ECP, and even at half that price it would be a waste of money.

Check out this post over on our forum, from an expert who actually has experience with that exact product:

Auto Armor Care - General Detailing Discussion and Questions - Adams Forums

All those dealer applied protection products are a waste of money, and give you a false sense of having adequate protection on your truck.