Detailing Tuxedo Black Methods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
We all love that Tuxedo Black color of the Raptors, cause lets face it, its bad ass and looks mean as hell dirty or spankin clean.

But fine cleaning with Clay Bar's seen to take forever. What do you expect with a factory SuperCrew Cab that is one of the widest stock trucks on the market... If not the widest. Thats a hell of a lotta surface area to rub with a tiny ass piece of clay!!

I've heard of newer options out there from NanoSkin, BlakLiquid cleansing cloths, sponges, liquid clay bars, mitts... They seem to be everywhere.

But what do you use on your Tuxedo Black to prevent marring, yet give you that great decontaminated paint feel like a clay bar but in half the time? And what kind of marring/scuffs/markings can they eliminate?

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, I don't have a 'badass tuxedo black Raptor', but I do have the the MOST BADASS COLOR AND THAT IS RUBY RED!!!

I use Adams Polishes Clay Bar. Not because it's easy. Not because it's fast. But because there is no substitute for hard work that makes shit look good. Clay bars just get the job done, and done right. I do mine at least once a month, and it only takes about 15 minutes or so to do it.

I can't imagine anything out there doing it much quicker than that.

just Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have a black one, and I use Adams wash, Adams visco clay bar with loads of detail spray, and then I do Adams H2O guard and gloss. That's a relatively quick method to get clean and protected. Zero swirl marks, and the constant rain beads off well.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We all love that Tuxedo Black color of the Raptors, cause lets face it, its bad ass and looks mean as hell dirty or spankin clean.

But fine cleaning with Clay Bar's seen to take forever. What do you expect with a factory SuperCrew Cab that is one of the widest stock trucks on the market... If not the widest. Thats a hell of a lotta surface area to rub with a tiny ass piece of clay!!

I've heard of newer options out there from NanoSkin, BlakLiquid cleansing cloths, sponges, liquid clay bars, mitts... They seem to be everywhere.

But what do you use on your Tuxedo Black to prevent marring, yet give you that great decontaminated paint feel like a clay bar but in half the time? And what kind of marring/scuffs/markings can they eliminate?

Claying a SuperCrew with the Visco Clay Bar takes me about 30 minutes, including the headlights, wheel flares, painted portions of the bumpers, and the glass.

The Visco Clay works really well, it has the right amount of decontamination effectiveness without being overly stick. Some clay bars are too sticky, and hard to work with, while other clay bars are not sticky enough to be effective.

The kit comes with the Geoimpression Tool that is used to put a waffle pattern in the surface of the clay to help trap and remove stuff stuck to the paint. Once you have the tool, then you can get just the Clay Refill Packet.

Yes, there are a lot of clay alternatives out there. Some will decon better than most clays, but leave marring behind that has to be machine polished. Other clay alternative products don't mar at all, but also don't decon as well as a high quality clay.

As far as removing "marring/scuffs/markings", clay will only remove any markings that are only sitting on the surface of the clear coat, not that actually damaged the clear coat. Actual marring will not be removed by clay, but paint transfer from another surface likely would be removed. Claying is more to remove contaminates like tar, sap, brake dust, bug guts, minor water spots, and some oxidation.

Here's a video to check out:

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Also, check out the Adam's Polishes Detailing Guide and Quick Reference Thread.

-Dan

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Well, I don't have a 'badass tuxedo black Raptor', but I do have the the MOST BADASS COLOR AND THAT IS RUBY RED!!!

I use Adams Polishes Clay Bar. Not because it's easy. Not because it's fast. But because there is no substitute for hard work that makes shit look good. Clay bars just get the job done, and done right. I do mine at least once a month, and it only takes about 15 minutes or so to do it.

I can't imagine anything out there doing it much quicker than that.

Alright that Ruby Red is a pretty insane color choice also! I could see any type of clay bar making it ACTUALLY shine like a Ruby!! :pepper:

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Claying a SuperCrew with the Visco Clay Bar takes me about 30 minutes, including the headlights, wheel flares, painted portions of the bumpers, and the glass.

The Visco Clay works really well, it has the right amount of decontamination effectiveness without being overly stick. Some clay bars are too sticky, and hard to work with, while other clay bars are not sticky enough to be effective.

The kit comes with the Geoimpression Tool that is used to put a waffle pattern in the surface of the clay to help trap and remove stuff stuck to the paint. Once you have the tool, then you can get just the Clay Refill Packet.

Yes, there are a lot of clay alternatives out there. Some will decon better than most clays, but leave marring behind that has to be machine polished. Other clay alternative products don't mar at all, but also don't decon as well as a high quality clay.

As far as removing "marring/scuffs/markings", clay will only remove any markings that are only sitting on the surface of the clear coat, not that actually damaged the clear coat. Actual marring will not be removed by clay, but paint transfer from another surface likely would be removed. Claying is more to remove contaminates like tar, sap, brake dust, bug guts, minor water spots, and some oxidation.

Here's a video to check out:

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Also, check out the Adam's Polishes Detailing Guide and Quick Reference Thread.

-Dan

Wow thanks for the reply Dan! This is everything that Im looking for. How can I go about finding a dealer with large volume in Calgary, AB ASAP!! It seems like Adams is the go to brand. I was always a Meguiars guy (Im SORRY!), but its time to move onto something new and better!

How would the Visco Clay Bar affect the hood and rear fender decals? Do you recommend masking them off? Or is it safe?

What in your line would you recommend for removing making/light abbreviations in the clear coat, after the Visco Clay Bar detail session? Buffing wheels are no stranger concept, only looking for the best for my girl Black Pearl!

Last edited:

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol all of this black is the best, red is the best, etc lol. White is the best cause you never have to mess with this clay bar nonsense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts